Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer prepped car opt out

Hi peeps

Just wondering if any of you have asked the dealer not to wash and prep your newly delivered car and opted to do it yourself, if so what kinda condition does the car turn up like i.e covered in a film of heavy wax protection ect ect.

The reason i ask is i dont want the dealers attacking my new car with sponges ect ect, and would prefer to drive her home and detail her myself.

Cheers
    Polar White DS Sport Plus 150 THP

Graham,

A man after my own heart! This approach is very common in the detailing world community as we HATE sponges with a vengence. I collected my DS3 Sport Plus today and deliberated with myself on this - the trade-off was did I get it with stickers etc, and not have time to even do simple prep myself or let them do it once, then accept I may need to do a full machine polish (which I am likely to do once anyway).My other option was to get a pro detailer into the daelr and get him to do the prep - this can be tricky as timing window is very tight and not all dealers want to give them the prep area for the timethey'd need (probably only 4 or 5 hours on a new car as nothing to correct). Ok plus maybe £300 for the detailer...however, I can match their quality myself as it is hobby number 2. I let them prep it in the end. On initial collection I wondered seriously if I'd regret it as in the sun I could see some significant swirls on the bonnet. Thankfully these were actually on the whole dried wax marks so were easy to remove after a correct 2BM wash, a simple polish, then wax.There are of course swirl marks there - fact of life if you let a detailer or 'valeting' person touch your car. So my DS3 will never see a sponge from now on.....

OK, if you fancy a proper prep and can get to the midlands, I'll help you 'correct' it (meaning trying to remove swirls etc)....I am planning this for my new car soon (now done 30 miles!)....

Regards,
    Clive.

Hard to
    CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
    DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Originally posted by CliveP View Post
      Graham,

OK, if you fancy a proper prep and can get to the midlands, I'll help you 'correct' it (meaning trying to remove swirls etc)....I am planning this for my new car soon (now done 30 miles!)....

Regards,
      Clive.
      I too have tons of swirls on my car, I swore I would never buy another black car but thats what I have gone and done, the swirls are my fault tho, it was only a few weeks ago that I came accross a detailing forum (cleanmycar.co.uk), it was then I found out about not useing sponges. I know use mitts with the 2 buckett system, Have spent over £200 on products to try to remove the swirls but nothing works.
      Has Lexia Tool :o)

Comment

If you ask your dealer not to prep your car I can't see why he wouldn't agree to this. The only thing is you will need them to remove the wax fluid from the car and the wraps will have to be removed for the car to be driven home.
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Loads of guys on detailing world do this to stoP the swirl mak madness

Comment

Originally posted by germinus View Post
            I too have tons of swirls on my car, I swore I would never buy another black car but thats what I have gone and done, the swirls are my fault tho, it was only a few weeks ago that I came accross a detailing forum (cleanmycar.co.uk), it was then I found out about not useing sponges. I know use mitts with the 2 buckett system, Have spent over £200 on products to try to remove the swirls but nothing works.
            Hi, you won't remove them by hand application - will need machine polishing, I do it purely as a hobby. They can all be removed. I can point you in the direction of a local professional detailing who can perform 'paint correction' for you if you want to get it done asap. Cleanmycar's site is good, but small as Tim is mainly a retailer of detailing products, take a look on detailingworld.co.uk to truly indulge, take a look in the showroom....I'm say the same userid on there too...

Regards,
            Clive.
            CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
            DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Clive I live in the Midlands, you have pm. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                If you ask your dealer not to prep your car I can't see why he wouldn't agree to this. The only thing is you will need them to remove the wax fluid from the car and the wraps will have to be removed for the car to be driven home.
                Bigfeet

Is'nt the removal of the wax fluid something i could do myself ???

Comment

Wonder if it is worth investing in a machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham225 View Post
                    Bigfeet

If you have a lot of elbow grease then yes!

The dealers buy in a special fluid which breaks down the wax protection and is very nasty stuff. I suggest you let the dealer do it as it is sprayed onto the car, no contact.

Comment

Originally posted by germinus View Post
                      Wonder if it is worth investing in a machine?
                      I've got one you can borrow, just needs some new pads of ur choice... let me know...
                      Si

Comment

Originally posted by xtremevibez View Post
                        I've got one you can borrow, just needs some new pads of ur choice... let me know...
                        Si
                        That would be great! Are you in the Midlands then?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                          If you have a lot of elbow grease then yes!

The dealers buy in a special fluid which breaks down the wax protection and is very nasty stuff. I suggest you let the dealer do it as it is sprayed onto the car, no contact.
                          sounds just the job "no contact" then i can drive her away and do the detailing myself, do you think the dealer would go along with this ?

Comment

I can't see why not, you may have to sign something off along the lines of not wanting the valet.

By the way your avatar is very distracting!

Comment

Originally posted by Graham225 View Post
                              Bigfeet

washing up liquid stripsallwaxes off in a oner

Comment

Working...
                              X