Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not so fast THP

I own a ds3 THP i am having it for one year now

So far i've only done 2600miles and last night i decided is about time to open her taps. I was driving in the motorway and i was flooring it on 4th-5th gear and also 6th gear from 2500-4000rpm. I have to admit i was expecting more for 155bhp, the car was feeling a bit reluctant and it felt like i was cruising and not driving fast although it reached very easy 95mph in 6th gear and around 3500rpm.

It is a refined car, quite and comfortable in high speeds however i didn't felt fast...i was also trying it from 60-80mph using 5th gear and i was feeling a bit of hesitation from the engine the revs were slowly climbing up...My last car (suzuki swift sport 1.6) was feeling much more responsive in that range.

Could it be that the engine needs to cover more miles so that everything works like it should be? or its just the car doesn't have any more to give in terms of power?

My car is standard haven't done any mods to it

Would like to hear your opinions

Well You Have Only Done 2600 Miles - That Isn't Alot For Having A New Car For A year...

Get An Aftermarket Panel / Cone Filter Fitted And Have It Remapped To About 200 BHP, You'll Feel A Big Difference Then !

Comment

Drop a gear (or two) and floor it. All Turbos require the correct gear to "feel" fast.

Comment

I haven't driven the Thp but i have driven the mini cooper s and you do need to be in the right gear to get the "feeling" of speed. I also had a swift sport previously and they are very responsive above 4000rpm due to being a high revving engine but you can't really compare it to a turbo assisted engine tbh. On a side note I do miss the swift sport sometimes, even more so since begrudgingly having the cruddy e-hdi 90 foisted on me as an insurance replacement for my written off white edition hdi.
        Suzuki Rgv 250, Cruddy Corsa, Cruddy Astra, 56 Corsa D, 09 Fiesta Mk7, 59 Fiesta Mk7, 10 Swift Sport, 11 DS3 Hdi White Edition >> 61 DS3 e-Hdi Dstyle Plus Sport Yellow with corroding bellone's as standard<<

Comment

The hesitation you have describe has cropped up before, having a quick look at my Info Rapid Thread and see if thats any use.

http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...ght=info+rapid
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by studly View Post
            even more so since begrudgingly having the cruddy e-hdi 90 foisted on me as an insurance replacement for my written off white edition hdi.
            Its Not Far Off The Same Engine ? :L

Is Your White Edition Cruddy Too ? :L

Comment

http://stickerwerkz.com/shop/en/gene...p-sticker.html ?? :P

We came,
              We saw,
              We stood around,
              We went home. :cool:

#19:10 Arlow> You do know you can use your laptop whilst its plugged in

Comment

Is the low miles affecting in some way the engine performance? I read in an article that for an engine to run at its 100% power it has to cover around 7,500miles

Comment

It may 'loosen' up with more mileage, but it should be running pretty much at it's full potential straight out of the box... It's only the engine components seating themselves, it won't suddenly improve vastly with mileage. With a turbo car, you shouldn't need to change gears so much. NA cars need more labouring with lower gear selections to get performance out of them when at speed; the turbo should already be spinning at the speeds you mention, so you're not going to get a huge performance leap when you floor it at speed from the 155hp engine and drop the gear (the higher gear you select and lower the revs the more you will notice the turbo kicking in). Saying that, my 160hp Insignia diesel shifts in 6th very well, but it's got more torques...!

We had an Abarth 500 a couple of years ago now, 1.4 turbo with 135hp but as light as a feather. Performance was so so, not very gutsy like you describe especially when over 70mph. It had a turbo guage on the dash showing the turbo pressure, and when cruising at 70ish from recollection it was around 1bar. By changing down and flooring it the turbo pressure would only go to about 1.5bars, and by that point you we using everything the car had to offer. However, if you were doing 50/60 in 4th and floored it, because the rev's were lower you really noticed the turbo kick in and deliver some power.
                  Replaced it with a Megane R26 2.0 turbo 230hp which didn't really struggle in any gears until you hit about 130/140mph (always on a track, obviously :rolleyes but that had even worse mpg than the Abarth, at 22-25mpg for the megane and 27-30 for the Abarth. If you dropped that into 3rd at 60 you'd soon be pushing 100 before you needed to change to 4th, but then it did have raw power from the 2.0 and then a dirty great turbo strapped on for good measure.

The mini cooper s is a supercharger, so that operates pretty much at any rpm, compared to turbo's which kick in around 2000rpm.

Get it checked out - it could simply be an intercooler pipe has come loose or something so it's losing pressure, or it could just be normal. Have you tried a test drive in another THP to compare?

Comment

DS3-R if you want fast-ish. Or something else if you want faster (because there always is something faster).

Or just chill and enjoy a beautiful car.
                    Last edited by DSThree; 11-10-2011, 21:16.

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                      Its Not Far Off The Same Engine ? :L

Is Your White Edition Cruddy Too ? :L
                      You can just feel the difference ie you can tell the gearing has changed and there's a definite flat spot when giving it the beans when changing up. I just don't like it compared to the hdi 90 it has replaced maybe i'm just being picky but if i had the cash i would be getting rid and getting a year old hdi 110 or mini cooper d instead.
                      Btw Jsr the r56 cooper s is turbo assisted but i personally prefer the r53 supercharged cooper s, more refined power delivery etc.
                      Back to topic though just enjoy the car as it's obvious you like it but you could maybe get a drive in another Thp just to get a comparison to yours.
                      Suzuki Rgv 250, Cruddy Corsa, Cruddy Astra, 56 Corsa D, 09 Fiesta Mk7, 59 Fiesta Mk7, 10 Swift Sport, 11 DS3 Hdi White Edition >> 61 DS3 e-Hdi Dstyle Plus Sport Yellow with corroding bellone's as standard<<

Comment

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                        The mini cooper s is a supercharger, so that operates pretty much at any rpm, compared to turbo's which kick in around 2000rpm.
                        Almost right the 1st new mini was supercharged the current one has a BWMfied version of the THP
                        Originally posted by cyclone
                        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                        Originally posted by Broda
                        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                        X