Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the "thp" engines disasters waiting to happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the "thp" engines disasters waiting to happen?

Hi all,

Are they?? I've read about top end rebuilds, replacement engines, noisy engines, engines with no power, faults that are never really resolved... I always research a new car thoroughly, but I've been shocked by what I've read on a couple of forums...

Could anyone shed any light? Are all THP engines affected? Was it an early problem now resolved? Or is (was?) it just a poorly designed engine with plenty of problems which is always going to be temperamental?

I really fancy one in a DS3! I can't believe a BMW designed engine could be so awful!!

Any insight would be great,

C

First the engine was a team effort BMW designing the heads and PSA the block which is based off of the old TU engine series block.
    Second if all you do is read forums well lets just say people with no problems do not really write posts. Their are literally 10's of thousands of THP engines in a wide range of PSA and Mini cars Just the I have a problem help me solve it crowd post to forums all the time.
    Do the engines have problems? Yes they do. but a lot of them are no different from other direct fuel injected engines (carbon build up around inlet vales Just about all manufactures have had this problem) or timing chain problems (seem to be fixed in later model THP engines) that are also unfortunatly common in a number of modern engines(VW I'm talking about you!) not just the THP. High pressure fuel pumps have also know to go bad here and there.
    Last edited by cyclone; 26-08-2017, 18:38.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

What Cyclone said. Also, I have had 2 THPs, both with no issues. Current one has just had a walnut blast by Jamie at SP Tuning as it hit 34k. Got everything checked while I was there, all running fine.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Working...
      X