Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow out rear brake piston! 2010 DS3 THP155

Hi all,

I Don't post on here much but thought it the best place to discuss the brake failure I had yesterday.

I drive to pick up my Mrs not to far from home and the brakes weren't responding well. The pedal was having to push to the floor then it would pump back to a solid feel. Whilst coming down the street I pushed on the brakes and heard a noise the pedal again was pushed to the floor. I pulled over checked the fluid it was well below the low point. I looked up the street and could see a line of fluid. I check under the car and the whole caliper was hanging on by the brake lines, there was no pad's and I was thinking WTF? I walked up the street following the fluid and found the piston on the road.

Just so I prepared to fix this I'm going to get a caliper with the piston entact new brake pads and bleed the lines the bolts are still intact, other than what I've mentioned and purchasing brake fluid and bleeding the brakes does anyone have any other experience with such f'd up occurrences?

Cheers-Stu

Sounds like lack of maintenance
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Impossible for the piston to come out with a brake pad there - then again if it had worn away completely or delaminated through corrosion it could happen but agree with Chris_blue - lack of maintainance

Comment

Originally posted by IanHurley View Post
        Impossible for the piston to come out with a brake pad there - then again if it had worn away completely or delaminated through corrosion it could happen but agree with Chris_blue - lack of maintainance
        It was possible m8 I found there were no bolts attached to the slide pins for the caliper. So yep it did blow out. I purchased this Car a while back, it passed it's MOT not too long ago so god know how the hell this happened. I've replaced the caliper and pads, I now need to reattch the hand brake cables underneath the hand brake I see 2 has come off... I guess I need to removed the centre console to get to these or does anyone know different?

Cheers - Stu

Comment

Originally posted by DS3-Stu View Post
          Hi all,

I Don't post on here much but thought it the best place to discuss the brake failure I had yesterday.

I drive to pick up my Mrs not to far from home and the brakes weren't responding well. The pedal was having to push to the floor then it would pump back to a solid feel. Whilst coming down the street I pushed on the brakes and heard a noise the pedal again was pushed to the floor. I pulled over checked the fluid it was well below the low point. I looked up the street and could see a line of fluid. I check under the car and the whole caliper was hanging on by the brake lines, there was no pad's and I was thinking WTF? I walked up the street following the fluid and found the piston on the road.

Just so I prepared to fix this I'm going to get a caliper with the piston entact new brake pads and bleed the lines the bolts are still intact, other than what I've mentioned and purchasing brake fluid and bleeding the brakes does anyone have any other experience with such f'd up occurrences?

Cheers-Stu
          its lack of maintenance, do maintenance.

Comment

Working...
          X