Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSport+ Hdi 110. 3 months, 2674 miles later..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSport+ Hdi 110. 3 months, 2674 miles later..

And I'm still in love <3

Well it's been 3 months since I collected my yellow and black DS3 from Howards Citroen, Taunton (great sales, shit valeters) so I've decided to do a 3 monthly report so anyone considering buying a DS3 can see what to expect.
    I picked it up with 8 miles on the clock and my first impressions were ok, wasn't as quick as I expected and didn't handle as well as I expected with some quite pronounced oversteer. My one has the Michelins, in case you're wondering.
    That aside, I spent the first few days wondering if I'd made the right choice and should've gone for the C4 instead. I filled it up (£60) and after putting a few hundred miles on it, started to settle in and find out what does what and why. The kids loved it and named it Buzz straight away, they still love it and randomly say just how much!
    First few days out of the way and once the novelty wore off, it was time to have a good look around...
    First thing I noticed is how much Citroens build quality has come on in leaps and bounds, it really is a world apart not only from their earlier offerings but also compared to the competition. Talking of which, I did shop around before I went for the DS and I don't think anything can hold a candle to it in it's class. I've yet to find anything this small that can comfortably seat 5 like this does, it really is tardis like inside.
    One of my concerns while shopping around was the fact I have 2 young children, would they be able to get in and out the back ok? No worries with this, the seats slide forward more than enough to give ample space for even adults to get in and out although you have to make sure the front seatbelt has been slid all the way back on it's lower mount, otherwise they get their feet caught and end up falling out of the car on to their face. Luggage space is acceptable although with 3 daughters, I can imagine going on holiday is going to be a hoot with the amount of crap they want to lug along.

Three months down the line, what do I think?
    Well, it certainly gets looked at if nothing else. The car seems to have settled in now, handling has improved to the point of being entertaining and very chuckable. Performance has really come alive, the car pretty much flies now apart from a flat spot when pulling away. Only way to cure this is plan ahead at junctions or pick the revs up to get the turbo working first, which isn't very kind to the clutch.
    Although the fuel consumption has improved and is amazing on a run, majority of my driving is around town where I'm only managing 360-400 miles on a tank. I found using Citroens gear shift indicator makes this worse, so I've gone back to driving normally and it did improve. I've turned the climate off too now to see what difference this will make.
    Gripes? Well, a few but nothing serious. The cup holder one has been done to death, so I won't go there. If you have young children who need booster seats, they slide around on the leather back seat like nobody's business and if the kids aren't in the car, the booster seats end up in the footwell first time you brake. I'm too tight to buy isofix ones before you mention them!
    I find the rear intermittent wiper stops working after a while and has to be turned off and back on again.
    No spare wheel! I mean WTF? (not you Joni) a can of gunk is no use to a split tyre, as a friend of mine found out on her way to her holiday destination recently. Being stranded until 4am in the snow over the peak district with the car fully packed and 3 young kids was no fun. A spare is NOT a luxury, Citroen. Sort your shit out.
    But thats it, nothing more. Honestly. Oh, apart from the huge pothole on the M6 that put 2 scrapes on my bellones but that isn't Citroens fault.
    I've worked in many main dealers of all makes and I wish other manufacturers would build cars like this, they really are that good.
    If you're reading this because you're wondering if you should buy one, you're doing exactly what I did 4 months ago. We all have different tastes but if you want a good allrounder that you will look at more like a family member than a mode of transport, you won't find better than a DS3.
    If you already have one, then you know you've already started having a love affair.

Nice one glad you love it

Comment

People are SO quick to slag off but not quick to say when they're happy, well I'm happy!!
      The few gripes don't detract from what is a near perfect car.

Comment

Good post
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Interesting reading Buzz.

We have had ours about a month now, also from the nice guy (Lee) at Howards Citreon Taunton. Although for me, it is like being divorced. My wife uses the car during the week, and I get to use it only for evenings and weekends............but when I do, it is a joy to drive, and if I am on my own, I do tend to put it through its paces. Gear change does take a bit of getting used to, but it is defo a fun car to drive, and gets plenty of looks.

Leather interior is very Very nice, gonna need to look for a seat cleaner/conditioner to look after them. Overall, a very well built car, and loverly to drive. Also like buzz, I did look at the DS4, but my wife had the last say...........I let her really.

Comment

I have had Cosette for about 6 weeks now and she gets better everytime I take her out.

She is a beautiful car. No gripes myself other than the airbag warning light at the beginning which was a little annoying but used to it now.

Love her leather seats which are very comfortable compared with my Leon which became harder after long journies.
            sigpic

Comment

Agreed and great post! I love my car my only issue is I wish I had the 6 speed manual rather than the 5 speed as I find this box a bit wooly with long throws but after also owning Peugeots, I think this is just a characteristic of PSA cars.

Comment

Not having a spare wheel is becoming quite common these days, didn't get one with my last car - they wanted a crazy amount for it too, but they did kindly provide free polystyrene that fills the space where the spare should be!

Thanks for the post, though, handy for potential buyers like myself.

Comment

The main the reason that you don't tend to get spares wheel is down to the common emission rules layed out by the EU. They state that manufactures must reach a certain average Co2 across their ranges. The easiest way to achieve this is to strip weight from the cars and a spare wheel kit is quite hefty and is often enough (coupled with long gearboxes and eco tyres) to drop a car into a lower Co2 bracket.
                  ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                  Bigfeet's File Repository
                  The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                    The main the reason that you don't tend to get spares wheel is down to the common emission rules layed out by the EU. They state that manufactures must reach a certain average Co2 across their ranges. The easiest way to achieve this is to strip weight from the cars and a spare wheel kit is quite hefty and is often enough (coupled with long gearboxes and eco tyres) to drop a car into a lower Co2 bracket.
                    That explains the 'cardboard' rear parcel shelf and the low key floor mats I suppose
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
                      I was led to believe the health and safety executive had something to do with it. Reducing the amount of blame claim no fee muppets when cars fall off their jacks? I guess there's a whole load of reasons... All linked to financials of course. :-)

Dave.

Comment

Give it a few years, they'll be weighing the driver before calculating what band to charge!!
                        DS3 DSport 150 THP

Comment

^

Now I like that plan but on planes rather than cars, when you book a ticket your total luggage allowance is based on a Gross Weight of you and bags! Don't see why the mega fatties don't get charged extra when I'm half a kilo over on my bag...
                          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                          Bigfeet's File Repository
                          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Even better, if you are under a certain weight, then the airline pays you :-)

Comment

The six speed box is very sweet - short(ish) throws and solid feel - so far from the 5 speed box it's untrue.

Comment

Working...
                              X