Confused about tyre loads, measurements etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about tyre loads, measurements etc

howdoo, buying tyres is a mine field to make sure you get the right ones. I know the bridgestone 17's are 205.45.17. 88V.

My question is can you get 205.45.17 84V? Or 205.45.17 84W as it opens up a lot more choice also there are tyres that have Xl on them - dont know what this means? Seen some Continental contact sport 205.45.17. VR 17 - but dont know if they fit?
    Any one know the answers cheers

Some useful info:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/writing-on-my-tyres.asp

http://www.etyres.co.uk/consumer-inf...ewall-code.htm
    DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

Paul,

In some ways it's straightforward but in an 'insurance' sense it's a tricky area - the '88' refers to the load rating......i.e. weight the tyre can handle, etc

The 'V' refers to the speed rating - i.e. the maximum speed the tyre can go to without problems

The 205/45/17 is the size so if they same they will fit....BUT....

- all the ratings will be well above what you need, but the tricky bit is the fact most insurance companies state you must fit the same spec the manufacturer put on the car - sure, they don't check, but, heaven forbid, you are in a serious accident, they can potentially wiggle on the cover if you've got a different spec........

So, personally, I'm not a fan of going under the 88V......

Regards,
      Clive.
      CL11 VEP 2011 Former DSport Plus 150THP Sport Red, now something else.......
      DS3 Club's Former Resident OCD Detailer!

Comment

Thanks Arlow and Clive, I didn't realise about the insurance thing. What about the Continental Sport contact 3* 205.45.17 VR- it says these are meant for BMW but why won't they fit mine?

Comment

Right have ordered Uniroyal Rainsport 2 205.45.17 88VR hope that is the right size? Anyway they are £190 delivered for the two from Camskill.

Comment

Well got the rainsports 2 on today. They feel a lot softer and seem to ride better than the bridgies plus they should be miles better in the wet,
            Update - they seem to have softer sidewalls so the grip in corners seems worse than the bridgestones, but fine for me, im no racer.
            Last edited by pauljack; 25-05-2012, 19:18.

Comment

Working...
            X