No announcement yet.

Time to swerve the DERV? The petrol/ DERV debate continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to say when I first looked at a DS3 I was all set to go for a VTi. Took it for a test drive and yes it was quite quick but once I hit a bit of a hill a lot of gear changing was required to make progress. Looking at the instant mpg make me wince!! Back to the dealer to try the 90hp Hdi. Not so quick off the mark but the hills around here were no problem. Torque is the key. Plus the fact that I do about 20k a year the diesel for me was a no brainer. Would have loved to have got the the 110 HDi but couldn't have justified the extra £3k.

Comment

DITCH THE OIL BURNERS
      Thats the title of the newspaper article yestday. It goes on:
      "Everybody seems to share my view on diesels. Unless your doing more than 10,000 miles a year owning an oil-burner is more expensive than petrol. This week WHICH magazine said it can take up to 14 years to pay back the 2 grand price premium you have the shell out for a diesel in the first place. Thats an eternity"
      Dont think Quentin likes diesels LOL
      CBLUE
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

One key factor is you get more back for diesels come px time, infact, some petrol models of certain cars are worth far less come trade in!

Comment

DITCH PETROL
          A national survey has discovered that those who own cars which run on petrol and drive more than 10,000miles/year could be wasting money. Those who use diesel cars generally benefit from a greater MPG which, despite diesel costing up to 7p/L more than petrol, can save them thousands of pounds over a 14 year period.
          Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

The decision on whether to have Diesel or Petrol can be really obvious in certain circumstances, not so much in others. If you are doing less than 8-9k a year then you should definitely go petrol. With the increase initial cost of a diesel you wouldn't get anything back - and as above you can run into issues if you aren't giving it a decent run all the time. If on the other hand you do 10k plus with plenty of motorway journeys then diesel is a sensible choice.

If you're around the 10kish and do lots of city driving i'd be tempted to get a car with an engine similar to the new focus 1L - or the 1.6 variant depending on budget.

Comment

Great diesel myth good little read on Petrol Diesel cars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...makes-car.html
              2012 Dstyle+ 1.6 eHDI 90 Airdreamsigpic
              Belle Ile Blue With Black Roof

Comment

I got a citroen £1500 deposit for the vti against £500 for the diesel, that £1000 difference swung me to the vti, doing about 12k per year, so think i am just quids in with it

Comment

Dirty Diesel, or Pure Petrol. Choices?

TTT (Apols)
                  Some members may find this an interesting in relation on whether to buy DERV or petrol vehicles
                  I cant agree with the performance is "better" in a diesel to be honest. Its a myth!
                  And yes- Some diesels are £0 for tax- but how long that gonna last. Governments is already making noises that £0 vehicles are massively reducing revenues and are considereing ways round it
                  When I were a lad...........DERV was 30% cheaper than petrol- look where it is now!
                  Smokey ole thing too:rolleyes:
                  (And I know there all dirty really!)
                  CBLUE
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                    And yes- Some diesels are £0 for tax- but how long that gonna last. Governments is already making noises that £0 vehicles are massively reducing revenues and are considereing ways round it
                    Even with the tax increase we'll be paying less than you petrol folk as your tax payments will no doubt increase also...
                    Proud owner of missing wonky stickers

Comment

Originally posted by mixin View Post
                      Even with the tax increase we'll be paying less than you petrol folk as your tax payments will no doubt increase also...
                      Apparently vehicles will have to become reeeeaallly eco to benefit from zero £ as the less than 100gm becomes much more common
                      And of course theres the old road toll charges, or tax on amount of miles done (Via speedo at MOT) - which may take road tax away from EVERYONE
                      Personally - a mileage tax is fairest (on top of petrol tax)
                      CBLUE
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

If your going petrol ds3 racing all the way...otherwise it's gotta be a derv! Similar performance in the real world to THP and to make swift pace in a THP you need to ring it's neck and get less than 30mpg...doesn't stack up for me! The instant mpg on a test drive was shocking before I went for the 110....
                        ...and......the money I claim back on business miles each month nearly pays for my monthly lease...happy daze :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Mattbrum View Post
                          If your going petrol ds3 racing all the way...otherwise it's gotta be a derv! Similar performance in the real world to THP and to make swift pace in a THP you need to ring it's neck and get less than 30mpg...doesn't stack up for me! The instant mpg on a test drive was shocking before I went for the 110....
                          ...and......the money I claim back on business miles each month nearly pays for my monthly lease...happy daze :cool:

I think a lot of people may disagree with this!

Comment

Working...
                          X