Ds3 155thp white sludge around oil cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ds3 155thp white sludge around oil cap

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows anything about having white sludge around there oil cap at all? I noticed it a few months back and was told it could be condensation because of cold weather??! I checked again today and there is a hell of a lot more than previously, so now I'm thinking head gasket?? The car is only 9 months old and hasn't been driven very hard So was just wondering if anybody had had a similar experience thanks nath

White sludge? Like Mayonnaise?

That's not a good sign, normally it points to a head gasket failure. That said if you're only doing short runs and the engine is not getting warm enough it could just be a build of condensation, best thing to do is give the car a nice long run but keep an eye on the oil. Would suggest that you look at changing it early.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Yeah it's sort of like mayonnaise bit darker with bubbles in it, car does 8 miles in the morn and gets up to temp but unsure if that's long enough to burn off the moisture, I've got it booked in with Citroen on Monday and its still under warranty but was just seeing if anybody new anything or had similar problems

Comment

not good im afraid as biggie said. sounds like damage is done.

Comment

Well it's going into the garage Monday for it to be looked at, so will see what the outcome is then! Thanks for the replays

Comment

Sounds like oil, water mixed under heat
            CBLUE
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

So are you saying head gasket then??

Comment

Not necessarily head gasket. Is exhaust smoking white at all under acceleration?

But could well be water getting into oil somehow

Why were u looking under filler cap anyway? - never looked at mine but oil level never dropped yet! U loosing oil?

CBLUE
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Whilst checking the oil a few months back, I just took the cap off and had a look, that's when I first noticed the sludge, I then thought it may have been moister from the cold weather and not having drive it particularly far. I checked again after a couple of weeks and a few good drives and it had seen to have gone!! A month had passed and then today I decided to check again and it was there again but this time worse, so ice no become concerned and Booked it in with my dealer! It's hard to tell with the white smoke I don't think there is its just normal exhaust fumes which are visible because of how cold it is outside!
                  Nath

Comment

No oil loss but noticed water was on min level today though

Comment

Where was oil level when you last checked before today?
                      CBLUE
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Just below max on the dipstick

Comment

Originally posted by N.phillimore155THP View Post
                          I checked again after a couple of weeks and a few good drives and it had seen to have gone!! A month had passed and then today I decided to check again and it was there again but this time worse,
                          You've answered your own question - it's condensation. Nothing to worry about, all cars suffer from it to a greater or lesser degree. Eight miles in freezing temperatures is not enough to get the engine thoroughly warmed through, you need to take it for a decent run, 20-30 miles at motorway speeds, to get rid of it.

Comment

Well- your either burning it, or loosing it- one or the other
                            Could well be the gasket
                            Service dept will let you know I would have thought. Its a warranty issue anyways
                            Had any mods done?
                            CBLUE
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

i experienced same problem with my VW Golf and it was short journeys that was the problem while sitting outside in our UK climate the cylinder head does tend to get some atmospheric moisture in it kinda like your old single glassed windows use to do on cold mornings so when this mixes with the oil flowing in your cylinder head (oil + water= creamy sludge) thats why its only on your oil cap
                              As long as your dipstick is NOT creamy then you will be fine just do as DaveB says a good long trip along motorway should help.
                              A creamy dipsick = MEGGABUCKS

If in Doubt just Google CREAMY OIL FILLER CAP
                              Last edited by DS3man STEVE; 25-01-2013, 12:28.
                              http://www.ds3club.co.uk/attachment....4&d=1420569803
                              :rolleyes: Too Good For Heaven & Too Bad For Hell :mad:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X