X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross wind sensitivity

Hello everyone,

Did a search but couldn't find anything, so here goes

I own a DS3 VTI DStyle with 17' Bellone wheels, but otherwise completely standard.
    Love the car but I find it to be very cross wind sensitive in medium to hard winds. Don't know if it is just me, but on my old car (Xsara) with only 14' wheels this wasn't nearly as noticable.

Hope someone here might have some input as there seems to be a great concentration of knowledge on this forum

Greeting from Denmark.

/Kenneth

First thought that comes to mind is maybe the weight difference of the two cars which would cause you to feel more cross wind in one than the other.

Comment

The DS3 is more high sided than a Xsara, partly due to the added impact safety that new cars must have these days, which would make it a bit more sceptical to cross winds.

The other thing to note is that the DS3 has an Electric Power Steering rather than Hydraulic which does make the steering lighter to use but can cause you to 'over correct' more often.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I noticed this on Thursday when we had some high winds. I felt the car being pushed more than I expected.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

First of I think weight is not the cause as the DS3 is actually a tad heavier then the Xsara
          I can see the point of the electric power steering as it is more "light" going than the Xsara.

Then the question is if there is anything I can do to try and levitate the issue a bit?

Thanks.

/Kenneth

Comment

I've found my DS3 better in the wind than my fiance's Hyundai i10, which is taller and lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
              The DS3 is more high sided than a Xsara, partly due to the added impact safety that new cars must have these days, which would make it a bit more sceptical :confused: to cross winds.

The other thing to note is that the DS3 has an Electric Power Steering rather than Hydraulic which does make the steering lighter to use but can cause you to 'over correct' more often.
              I can't see how the need for "impact safety" makes a car more high-sided. The type of servo used for the steering doesn't dictate how light the steering is - it's a combination of steering geometry, tyre width, steering rack ratio, level of servo assistance & other factors which determine how heavy the steering is.

From my limited knowledge of aerodynamics I understand that the factor most affecting sensitivity to side winds is the relationship between the positions of the centre of pressure (CP) & the centre of gravity, or more accurately centre of mass (CG).

I find the DS3 very good in side winds - one of the best cars I've ever had in that respect.

Comment

Working...
              X