Stone chips on roof?!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone chips on roof?!!!!!

I've just washed the car for the first time in months (sorry, Clive!), and there are literally dozens of chips on the roof - I gave up counting after 25 - where the yellow paint is clearly visible through the black. Most are very small, but the largest is 3-4 mm across. They are pretty evenly distributed across the roof. There's no denting that I can detect.

So what could have caused this? I don't park the car under trees, so no falling branches, acorns etc. I don't park it anywhere where stuff could fall onto it (bits of roof tile etc). I can't recall any situation, when driving it, when it's been peppered with stones, buckshot, etc.

The only thing I can put it down to (having discounted bird-attack by magpies/crows/woodpeckers, as there are no footprints or bird-shit) is hailstones - but wouldn't there be at least some dents, if the hailstones were large enough to chip the paint? I've been away for much of the last month, but apparently we had some mega-hailstorms while I was away.

Has anyone else experienced this strange phenomenon?

As for remedying it, I'm not sure I can be bothered to touch up all the chips, & if I did so they'd probably be even more noticeable, so I'm minded just to use some black polish, in the hope that it will fill in the chips. Is that a bonkers idea?

From the e.g's you give hailstones do sound the most likely although you'd think one or two might've dented with that force

My only other suggestion would be a flaw in the finish of the paint on the roof ? I'm guessing nothing was noticeable before ? Is there any warranty for this remaining ? If so I'd get it down to the dealer for an opinion.

Sorry I'm completely guessing as you can tell
    sigpic

Comment

My Ex's DS3 with the black roof was exactly the same after a couple of years, small chips down the centre. I put it down to one of those things.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
        My only other suggestion would be a flaw in the finish of the paint on the roof ? I'm guessing nothing was noticeable before ? Is there any warranty for this remaining ? If so I'd get it down to the dealer for an opinion.
        Probably not worth raising it with the dealer. It's well over 3 years old now, and I'd be amazed if they readily accepted that it's down to the paint finish, although the roof paint does seem very prone to damage.

Comment

Worth wrapping it maybe?

JB

Comment

I wondered that too, then became worried about what the paint chips would look like if the wrap was removed, would it cause more damage
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X