Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Management - The issue's with all things engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Management - The issue's with all things engine.

Hi DS3ers.....

I've read a few posts from the outside in but decided to post my issues and i know from what i have seen that this is a common issue. My issues is again fixing the sympton but not sourcing the actual problem to fix, here below is the work i have had done from my local Citroen garage. Has this work ever been successful or will i expect to be back some time soon after i get my car back?

"Hi

The fault codes we have on the vehicle are related to pre ignition and misfire

These codes are not related to any specific component .We have taken advice from Citroen technical and we have carried out a complete engine flush also cleaned out the inlet track using a solvent recommended by Citroen we have checked the knock sensor /turbo heat shield for vibration and then vehicle was re tested and now only a code for misfire is present we have now removed the inlet manifold to check for contamination and found it to be partially chocked with carbon residue .We now have removed the rocker cover and checked the valve timing which we have found to be correct.We are now planning to remove and strip the head to decoke it and are asking for Citroens permission to do so .We have also put the latest software into the ECU.

Kind regards Gary"

I believe the carbon build up in the inlet track to be the cause. The external flush helped but did not get rid of all the carbon so we now need to strip the head and valve gear to clean it all off and re test

Feedback would be grand on any experiences!

Ackey!

Originally posted by ackeygraham View Post
    Hi DS3ers.....

I've read a few posts from the outside in but decided to post my issues and i know from what i have seen that this is a common issue. My issues is again fixing the sympton but not sourcing the actual problem to fix, here below is the work i have had done from my local Citroen garage. Has this work ever been successful or will i expect to be back some time soon after i get my car back?

"Hi

The fault codes we have on the vehicle are related to pre ignition and misfire

These codes are not related to any specific component .We have taken advice from Citroen technical and we have carried out a complete engine flush also cleaned out the inlet track using a solvent recommended by Citroen we have checked the knock sensor /turbo heat shield for vibration and then vehicle was re tested and now only a code for misfire is present we have now removed the inlet manifold to check for contamination and found it to be partially chocked with carbon residue .We now have removed the rocker cover and checked the valve timing which we have found to be correct.We are now planning to remove and strip the head to decoke it and are asking for Citroens permission to do so .We have also put the latest software into the ECU.

Kind regards Gary"

I believe the carbon build up in the inlet track to be the cause. The external flush helped but did not get rid of all the carbon so we now need to strip the head and valve gear to clean it all off and re test

Feedback would be grand on any experiences!

Ackey!
    That a standard "Citroen fix" - read as "work around".

This will temporarily cure you of the symptoms you've been seeing but as you're already aware this does nothing to resolve the issue that caused the engine failure in the first place.

If I was you, I'd send an email back similar to the below:

"Thanks for keeping me updated with your resolutions so far and for the time you've spent repairing my car.

I understand the work that's taking place but am still struggling to understand how this issue occured in the first place and what remedial action is being undertaken to prevent this from occuring again.

Having read up on the issue, this appears to be a common failure with the THP engines in DS3's.

Please could you confirm what is being done to permanently resolve this issue or alternatively reply to me to confirm that you are 100% happy with the fix you have implemented and that should a similar fault occur again in the next 3 years you will be able to provide me with a FULL refund for the current value of the car".

^Something like that.
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Sound advice.
      Originally posted by cyclone
      It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
      Originally posted by Broda
      I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
        Sound advice.
        Or do what I did loose loads of money and bin the bloody thing
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

Fit a catch can
          DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that. Car is still down at garage and most conversations that have taken place have been on phone or email. I won't be so nice when I get back down there. This car is under warranty till May so quite apprehensive of them actually fixing it and it reoccurring no doubt.

Has anyone ever looked at where you stand in terms of consumer goods act since this seems to be a known issue?

Also will probably if comes to it trade it in and go elsewhere before the warranty expires......

Comment

Originally posted by ackeygraham View Post
              Thanks for that. Car is still down at garage and most conversations that have taken place have been on phone or email. I won't be so nice when I get back down there. This car is under warranty till May so quite apprehensive of them actually fixing it and it reoccurring no doubt.

Has anyone ever looked at where you stand in terms of consumer goods act since this seems to be a known issue?

Also will probably if comes to it trade it in and go elsewhere before the warranty expires......
              All the shit I had with mine I stayed loyal and bought a diesel from the same dealer its not their fault that the thp is a pile of crap ...................got a good trade in a deal on the other car ........................but still lost money though..........................................En ter Chris Blue
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-M...71187626414180

Pop in and give me a like

Comment

I think Stef (check the Racing sub area) was going along the consumer act approach. He had a rejected two racings. He had some extensive threads about his cars.

On via Tapa - moving house. Back online soon!
                My DS3R3... nearly....
                New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Don't forget the Sale of Goods Act (here in the UK)
                  The law says that a customer can approach you with a claim about an item they purchased from you for up to six years from the date of sale (five years after discovery of the problem in Scotland).

This does not mean that everything you sell has to last six years from the date of purchase! It is the time limit for the customer to make a claim about an item. During this period, you are legally required to deal with a customer who claims that their item does not conform to contract (is faulty) and you must decide what would be the reasonable amount of time to expect the goods to last.

A customer cannot hold you responsible for fair wear and tear. The six year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights.

The key term to use is "Inherent fault", and I think we can all agree that the THP engine has an Inherent Fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                    If I was you, I'd send an email back similar to the below:

"Thanks for keeping me updated with your resolutions so far and for the time you've spent repairing my car.

I understand the work that's taking place but am still struggling to understand how this issue occured in the first place and what remedial action is being undertaken to prevent this from occuring again.

Having read up on the issue, this appears to be a common failure with the THP engines in DS3's.

Please could you confirm what is being done to permanently resolve this issue or alternatively reply to me to confirm that you are 100% happy with the fix you have implemented and that should a similar fault occur again in the next 3 years you will be able to provide me with a FULL refund for the current value of the car".

^Something like that.
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                      The key term to use is "Inherent fault", and I think we can all agree that the THP engine has an Inherent Fault.
                      Unfortunately WE may agree but PSA and BMW the 2 users of this engine do not.

Comment

Unfortunately WE may agree but PSA and BMW the 2 users of this engine do not.
                        They don't have a say in the application of UK law.

Comment

Their say would be disagreeing that it is an inherent fault and forcing you to go through all the pain of taking it to court to get satisfaction.

Comment

Their say would be disagreeing that it is an inherent fault and forcing you to go through all the pain of taking it to court to get satisfaction.
                            Small claims court is a joy to behold for those willing to risk the hundred or quid it costs, plus the cost of getting a technician to agree its an inherent fault. Still far cheaper than a new engine or rebuild. Lots of companies rely on the fact that they can scare consumers into paying for things that are covered by UK consumer law.

Also don't forget that your contract and therefore issue is not with the manufacturer or even supplier but with the company your bought the car from, they are legally obliged to resolve the matter with you at anytime for up to six years from the date of purchase. If they deny this or ignore it they are breaking the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

You wont be staring across the small claims court at a rep from BMW or PSA, but the manager of the garage you bought the car from, does he really want to spend his time doing that.

Comment

Very true although I personally believe that at around 10k euro for an engine the dealer will put up more of a fight than if it was a 100 euro trim part.

Comment

Working...
                              X