Noisy engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy engine

Ok folks so my 1.6 vti has covered just over 2000 miles from new and lately noticed that when cold in the morning it sounds a bit like a diesel. Once warm all is fine. Oil is still a nice gold colour.

Have anyone else had this ?

Mark

My 120 sounds awful. She has a constant tick. Sounds like chitty chitty bang bang.

I know Wes has got a tick on his and I think Rickards is getting one (both 120's)

Before this, she wasn't a fan of cold mornings so sure that's nothing to worry about generally. She sounds a lot more grumbly than she used to and I noticed the exhaust noise changed within the first few weeks of owning her.

Could you take a video to help display the problem?

On via Tapa.
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Cheers for your reply wtf. Yes sure i will get a video tomorrow morning when she's nice and cold. Ive noticed the to with the exhaust also. Seem more raspy now

Mark

Comment

dont know if the VTi's have hydraulic tappets but thats not uncommon. oils is thick on startup and takes a while to become thin and get the pressure into the tappets.

though slightly unheard of on a new car...
        Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Mine is becoming 'tappy' lately, but I can live with it I suppose.

However, the last week or so on cold starts (mornings etc) the car will rattle its a** off for the first few miles of driving I've had a timing chain problem on my previous car, and the noise I hear when driving is similar to that.

Any issues with the chain on the VTi 120 ? My car has just ticked over 20k and is a 2010 model

Comment

My wife has a C3 VTi120 and I have a DS3 THP155 and both engines are noisy quite diesel like at idle. When I first bought the C3 I would go to the dealers and "test drive" other C3's and DS3's to convince myself this wasn't normal but you know what they all have that tappety sound and I don't know why.

P.S in Aus we don't have cold either so there no such thing as warming it up.

Comment

http://youtu.be/Lekub3kddik

Not really cold this morning but the noise is there. Not sure if the link will work as its copyed and pasted from this stupid iphone lol

Mark

Comment

Honestly just sounds normal to me. Yes they are noisy and it worried me too for a while and as I said I drove around a few dealers test driving new and old C3's and DS3's and mostly they all sounded pretty similar to that.

Originally posted by Sparky ds3 View Post
                http://youtu.be/Lekub3kddik

Not really cold this morning but the noise is there. Not sure if the link will work as its copyed and pasted from this stupid iphone lol

Mark

Comment

Ive just done 9000 miles in my 155 and the engine sound is better than my previous 150
                  But the 150 wasn't that bad IMO either
                  Happy to post up a vid if needed
                  Not sure I could handle "Clackety" engines (Might even develop one yet) unless it goes after a minute or 2
                  Would have to take advice and get some work done to quieten it. If its done high mileage thatd be a different matter

With the 155 up for £18k, its should be smooth as silk IMO

My idiosynchrosy.....check oil twice a week. Probably around 200ml every 6-8weeks, but it does get reeeeeallly hot sometimes
                  Last edited by Chris_Blue; 27-09-2013, 04:58.
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                  X