Quick questions, hope you can help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick questions, hope you can help

I just went out to refill my screenwash and noticed that my coolant header tank is just below Min and I can't see anything in 4 which is my brake fluid reservoir.

I've only ever topped up my oil and screenwash before (I know that's piss porr but I've only been driving 2 years).

my questions are:

Do I top these other two up myself easily and without concern or should I take it to the garage to have it done?
    And if I am to do it myself, should I use anything special for my car?

This is the sort of question I will only have to ask once but need to be sure. I topped my last car's oil up to the top only to find out I'd buggered it up and had to have it drained which cost more than the oil and then they charged me for new oil.

Why the hell would my brake fluid be none existant? that's a worry!
    sigpic

Was the engine cold? In that case I wouldn't worry too much about the coolant level - check again when the engine's warm.

Are you sure there's no brake fluid? If the level's too low you should get a "STOP" warning & the red brake warning lamp should be lit - possibly an error message on the trip computer screen as well.

Comment

Hi mate, just been out to cjeck it over again and am a bit embarassed to say that the brake fluid is full, I shone the torch on it from above and the orange fluid was rattling around by the max level, huge weight off my mind. I was going to check again tmrw morning in the light but I didn't think I'd get much sleep, so at least the brake fluid is fine.

The coolant is just below Min and the engine was warm, is this just a simple top up situation? If so what do you suggest?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DS3 enthusiast View Post
        The coolant is just below Min and the engine was warm, is this just a simple top up situation? If so what do you suggest?
        You need to top it up with the correct antifreeze mixture. For the small amount you'll need it's not worth buying a litre - I'd just pop into my Citroen dealer & ask them to top it up!

Don't worry about misreading the brake fluid level - we've all done something similar!

Comment

Agreed with above, best thing to do is pop into your dealer and they should top up correctly for you mate.

Pssstt - don't worry about the brake fluid mistake, years ago I had a customer phone in a panic about some yellow fluid on the floor at the front wheel of his car. He then drove 20 miles at a crawl as he was worried about there being a serious problem. When he got to the garage the tech put the car onto the ramp, rised it and then lower it straight away. After passing the keys back to the customer he informed him that the car was safe and the 'funny' yellow fluid was dog's pee!!!

...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by DS3 enthusiast View Post
            Hi mate, just been out to cjeck it over again and am a bit embarassed to say that the brake fluid is full, I shone the torch on it from above and the orange fluid was rattling around by the max level, huge weight off my mind. I was going to check again tmrw morning in the light but I didn't think I'd get much sleep, so at least the brake fluid is fine.

Pheeeeewwwwwwwww that's a sign of relief pmsl....Had me worried for a moment Enthusiast....Glad all is well

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post
              After passing the keys back to the customer he informed him that the car was safe and the 'funny' yellow fluid was dog's pee!!!
              Brilliant story, Bigfeet!!

Comment

Working...
              X