PureTech Turbo engine production line opened by PSA Peugeot Citroen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PureTech Turbo engine production line opened by PSA Peugeot Citroen

PSA Peugeot Citroen has officially opened the production line for its new EB Turbo PureTech engine at the Française de Mécanique plant in Douvrin, France. Series production is expected to begin in March, with a targeted production capacity of 320,000 engines a year.

For now, the engine will be built in France to power PSA vehicles assembled in Europe, but its manufacture will be extended to Latin America and China in 2015 to supply their local markets.

The new turbocharged PureTech three-cylinder petrol engine produces between 110 and 130 hp, and is claimed to offer 18% lower fuel consumption and CO2 emissions (102-110 grams per km) than its naturally-aspirated counterparts. Besides being light and modular (40% of its parts are shared with the non-turbo versions), it complies with Euro 6.1 standards, which take effect from September 2014.

The Citroen C4 and Peugeot 308 will be the first to receive the motor next March, followed by the Peugeot 208 and finally the Citroen C3 and DS3 in July. PSA has invested a total of 893 million euro in the EB PureTech engine family, of which 455 million has been spent on research and development and the remainder on capital expenditure in France.

No official mention has been made of its displacement, but it should be a 1.2 litre unit. Among the engines announced for the new Peugeot 308 is a 1.2 litre e-THP turbocharged three-cylinder producing either 110 hp or 130 hp – can’t be a coincidence, can it?

The non-turbo PureTechs are the 1.0 VTi (68 hp) and 1.2 VTi (82 hp), which power the facelifted second-gen Citroen C3. The bigger engine can also be found under the bonnets of the Citroen DS3 (certain markets) and Peugeot 308.

Source
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

The engine will be a 1.2 with a larger performance 1.4 coming later. My guess is this engine is set to replace the 1.6 VTi 120 unit.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Good!
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

As long as they come in a automatic version am happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3 cylinder. Oh dear. I hope it doesn't sound and vibrate like an old washing machine

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
          Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

When will they produce a DS3 V8 model? I would buy one!

JB

Comment

V6 would do or a 3.2 VR6 engine bolted on

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                When will they produce a DS3 V8 model? I would buy one!

JB
                V6 2.5 is nice, ive had one.sounded lovely

Comment

The VTi 82 has a counter rotating balancer shaft so it should be silky smooth. Sound wise who knows but I remember my old Yamaha XS750 triple had a very nice exhaust note.
                  Originally posted by Toxic View Post
                  3 cylinder. Oh dear. I hope it doesn't sound and vibrate like an old washing machine

Comment

Originally posted by Jonbays View Post
                    The VTi 82 has a counter rotating balancer shaft so it should be silky smooth. Sound wise who knows but I remember my old Yamaha XS750 triple had a very nice exhaust note.
                    Most car manufacturers dont make Tuned Bike engines for their cars. they are more like hair dryers and rough to boot
                    Simon

Comment

Well the Yamaha XS750 had a 747cc inline triple putting out 64bhp @ 7,200RPM which for 1970 would tend to make the 2014 1 litre VTi look a bit weak with 68bhp!

Most car manufacturers dont make Tuned Bike engines for their cars. they are more like hair dryers and rough to boot

Comment

Yes but not because the technology doesn't exist to make an inherently imbalanced engine smooth but because the manufactures are unwilling to invest the money on an engine that will power a low price point car.
                        Originally posted by cyclone
                        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                        Originally posted by Broda
                        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by Jonbays View Post
                          Well the Yamaha XS750 had a 747cc inline triple putting out 64bhp @ 7,200RPM which for 1970 would tend to make the 2014 1 litre VTi look a bit weak with 68bhp!
                          exactly and pulling a considerable heavier piece of metal with 4 wheels as well.
                          Simon

Comment

Working...
                          X