Auto start/stop flashing!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto start/stop flashing!?

When it's dark and my lights are on when I stop and my engine dies the headlights give a brief "flash" when power is restored and I always think "I hope the bloke in front of me or the person at the opposite lights doesn't think I'm flashing him!" Is this flash so insignificant that no one else notices it...am I being paranoid?? lol

I've noticed this recently with my stop/start.
    DS3 1.6THP 165 Pearlescent Ink. White roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Goonerman1 View Post
      When it's dark and my lights are on when I stop and my engine dies the headlights give a brief "flash" when power is restored and I always think "I hope the bloke in front of me or the person at the opposite lights doesn't think I'm flashing him!" Is this flash so insignificant that no one else notices it...am I being paranoid?? lol
      Best way to check is either stop somewhere dark or get someone to check them for you. I don't have stop/start so never had this problem.
      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Starting your car is actually very power intensive. The car is momentarily turning off power to divert it to the starter. Try this turn your lights on before you start the car initially, then start it. The lights will do the same, momentarily go to just the sidelights then come back on. All cars that I know do this. With the car stopping and starting all the time you are just now noticing it.
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I've noticed this too, worse one is the automatic lights when you are driving in daylight and then go under a bridge, drl's turn off, headlights turn on, then you come out from under bridge and headlights turn off, drl's come back on. Result is you end up flashing the car in front.

Comment

@OP

Is this happening regardless of the weather conditions outside, i.e the same whether it is a sunny day or a dark cloudy day?
            Last edited by Bigfeet; 15-11-2013, 14:59.
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

It's because while under the bridge you are in the shadow of the bridge, hense the sensor thinks it is dusk/night time.

Comment

Originally posted by pmk View Post
                It's because while under the bridge you are in the shadow of the bridge, hense the sensor thinks it is dusk/night time.
                Lol! I knew that mate

Sorry my question was aimed at the OP.
                ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                Bigfeet's File Repository
                The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

I think my post has been misunderstood. I am not talking about the automatic lights coming on and off. My lights stay on but when I stop the car and the car goes into Eco mode and kills the engine, when the engine restarts when I put it into gear there is a slight dip in power as the engine re starts and the lights dim for a split second and then brighten up again

Comment

Originally posted by Goonerman1 View Post
                    I think my post has been misunderstood. I am not talking about the automatic lights coming on and off. My lights stay on but when I stop the car and the car goes into Eco mode and kills the engine, when the engine restarts when I put it into gear there is a slight dip in power as the engine re starts and the lights dim for a split second and then brighten up again
                    yes they do restarting the engine is a big electrical draw and there just isnt enough juice to do that and keep the lights on full so they dim. shame Citroen cant just fit a capacitor in the light circuit to even out the power flow though touch wood it eats less bulbs than my fiesta which also had auto lights went through a bulb or more a year

Comment

Goonerman1,
                      I was going to post the same question! So I'm pretty sure all ds3s with start/stop are the same. I think the flash is significant enough for the car in front to think they're being flashed.
                      I often disable start/stop in winter months as I have the heating turned up. It often restarts before I'm moving again anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X