Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm lost on this subject

Hi all,

I was out in my ds3 today with my brother and he advised me to get my engine tuned up....

What the hell does this mean???:confused::confused::confused: I don't really no anything about cars

Please help??
    sigpic

:ds3ILLIGAF:ds3:

Make it go faster (To nick WTFs phrase)
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
      Make it go faster (To nick WTFs phrase)
      How do I go about it?.
      sigpic

Comment

Ah- now that's the question!

Probably what a fair percentage of this site is all about. Depends what you want. Economy, performance, handling etc etc
        All I can say is that the first thing I ever did was change the air filter to a performance one
        Range between £35-£50 and its something you can do yourself
        Quite a few guides on this site

Its the start of a long experiment- good luck. Happy days.

Maybe use the seacrch boxe for "vti mods"
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

If you don't know what you're doing and need to ask an Internet forum, you should just leave it alone...

Not much you can do with a VTi unless you're prepared to spend a few G's...
          Last edited by ZACK; 17-11-2013, 22:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattooed_Zombie View Post
            How do I go about it?.
            There's a number of things you can do to make the car go faster. Before you do make any changes though, ask ourself a few questions first:

1. Do I need to it go faster?
            2. I don't mind that my warantee will most likely be invalid if I do?
            3. Can in afford the excess the changes will add to my insurance?

If the answer to all the above are yes then the first thing I would would recommend would be to read through some of the other members mods in this sub-forum:
            http://www.ds3club.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?14-DS3-Mods

You could start with something simple such as modifying the back box (the bit that the tail pipes stick out of) - This will probably gain you a little bit of extra power and should hopefully make the engine sound a little "beefier".

Or you could go the whole hog and drop a turbo into the engine and arrange for someone to custom remap the car.

It all depends on how much you're willing and wanting to spend to get every last bit of juice out of the car. Answer this and we can point you in the right direction
            cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

[QUOTE=ZACK;128666]If you don't know what you're doing and need to ask an Internet forum, you should just leave it alone...QUOTE]
              Is that not the point of a forum, to ask questions, and to gain information on how to do things?
              Go Zom

Ive learnt Loads on here

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalry View Post
                Is that not the point of a forum, to ask questions, and to gain information on how to do things?
                Very true, but tuning your engine is a totally different matter to learning things about and "how to" on your car, especially when the original post includes and I quote, "What the hell does this mean???:confused::confused::confused: I don't really no anything about cars".

See what I mean ?

Comment

thank you all for your reply's.

my brother and my father have a good knowledge of cars as my father has modified every car hes ever had to a high standard.
                  i didnt want to bother him with questions when i thought "im a member of the ds3 club so who better to put the questions too!"

i would like the car to be faster and just perform better if that is even possible. I'm not going to do any modifications myself, i just want to be pointed in the right direction of where to take my car to get these modification done.

i think the car is quite slow for a 1.6 and want to get the best performance out of it.

not overly bothered by my insurance premiums going up and the cars 3 year warranty expired last week.

il check out the other forum links that Dangerousfish suggested.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tattooed_Zombie View Post
                    thank you all for your reply's.

my brother and my father have a good knowledge of cars as my father has modified every car hes ever had to a high standard.
                    i didnt want to bother him with questions when i thought "im a member of the ds3 club so who better to put the questions too!"

i would like the car to be faster and just perform better if that is even possible. I'm not going to do any modifications myself, i just want to be pointed in the right direction of where to take my car to get these modification done.

i think the car is quite slow for a 1.6 and want to get the best performance out of it.

not overly bothered by my insurance premiums going up and the cars 3 year warranty expired last week.

il check out the other forum links that Dangerousfish suggested.
                    Sounds like there's nothing holding you back then

Do you have any sort of budget in mind?

The biggest gains you can get from the 120vti without spending a fortune is going to be with a remap, even then you're not going to get massive gains due to the lack of turbo.

There's a number of company's in the UK that can help make the car compatible with a turbo but you're going to end up spending quite a bit of money going down that route.

Failing that, I'd start looking into the following as possible modifications:

Air filter / induction kit - Minimal gains, used to increase the air flow to the engine
                    Exhaust - Big gains if done correctly - Manifold, de-cat, back box, removal of silencers, etc..
                    Cams - Big gains, un-chartered territory, hasn't been touched on the DS3 yet afaik.
                    Nitrous - Instant gains, small to big but carries a fairly big risk if you're unsure of what you're doing

These are all things that can be changed "easily", it just depends how far you want to go with your mods
                    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                      Sounds like there's nothing holding you back then

Do you have any sort of budget in mind?

The biggest gains you can get from the 120vti without spending a fortune is going to be with a remap, even then you're not going to get massive gains due to the lack of turbo.

There's a number of company's in the UK that can help make the car compatible with a turbo but you're going to end up spending quite a bit of money going down that route.

Failing that, I'd start looking into the following as possible modifications:

Air filter / induction kit - Minimal gains, used to increase the air flow to the engine
                      Exhaust - Big gains if done correctly - Manifold, de-cat, back box, removal of silencers, etc..
                      Cams - Big gains, un-chartered territory, hasn't been touched on the DS3 yet afaik.
                      Nitrous - Instant gains, small to big but carries a fairly big risk if you're unsure of what you're doing

These are all things that can be changed "easily", it just depends how far you want to go with your mods
                      thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
                      i think to start im going to get an induction kit and change the exhaust.

then go from there
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post
                        Hi Fish lol

xxx

Comment

I always start with the suspension. Coilovers if your pockets are deep. Otherwise lowering springs. It does not give any more power but it makes the car handle better, feel faster, and look good.

As I always tell my drag racing friends any idiot can go fast in a straight line.
                          Originally posted by cyclone
                          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                          Originally posted by Broda
                          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                          X