X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Disc Problems after 3 months

Hi Guys,

need your thoughts on this,

My DS3 is just over 3 months old and has done around 6K. Recently I noticed that the brakes were juddering when doing anything over 40 so I took it to my dealer and said that I think the discs are warped. they have now come back and said they are starting to groove which is causing the judder however this would not be covered under the warranty as discs aren't covered. Surely a set of discs should be expected to last a lot longer that this?

I don't understand how Citroen can pass this off as normal? someone has suggested I speak to the finance company as they are supposedly as much responsible for the car as I am but the finance is Citroen so this doesn't help.

Ive heard a few comments on here about the quality of the brake discs- depends how fast, and how often brakes are used
    But theyre not much cop

Mine were making a weird noise after 7k miles. posted it up somewhere on here.
    Took it to Kwik fit, and they said discs very slightly warped causing them to hit the pad slightly every turn (A bit scored too)
    Asked me if they had been getting hot ? (Been on track couple times- theyd got quite hot)

They said talk to Citroen, I did, and they said they would have a look but only anything below 6k miles would be considered sub standard
    Just left it- now the noise has gone:redface:

Will upgrade to slotted and grooved discs when these are knackerd, upgrade the brake fluid, and pads.
    Last edited by Chris_Blue; 03-12-2013, 16:11. Reason: spell
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

You would expect them to be covered after 3 months even if warranty does class them as 'wear and tear'.

...On another note: If you have Bellone alloys make sure you check them often as we are currently getting a large batch of them gathering up due to warranty purposes with them corroding around the center caps.
      :ds3:The Parts Advisor:ds3:
      Partsworld-UK.com
      Email
      Call: 01246 268896
      We're also dealers for Alfa, Fiat, Abarth, Hyundai, Seat, Suzuki and Volvo
      *Please take a minute to write a quick review under your items on Partsworld-UK.com and also on Facebook*

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan@Partsworld-uk.com View Post
        ...On another note: If you have Bellone alloys make sure you check them often as we are currently getting a large batch of them gathering up due to warranty purposes with them corroding around the center caps.
        Still ? I though Citroen sorted that issue 2 years ago ?

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but my other half has just had her car in to citroen for its first service and to check the brakes they told her that the brakes are corroded slightly so she has to pay to repair them now to me this doesnt sound right the car is a year old and done less then 7000 miles do you reckon she should get in touch with citroen ? Is this a common fault on the ds3 ? Forgot to mention her car is a dstyle with the belones

Comment

Unless people are really persistent, they will probably say wear and tear- but we all know that may well not be the case

With a fair few engine issues around, I decided not to push it for couple hundred quids worth of brake discs and pads
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

See they told my other half its wear and tear but she uses her car less enthusiastically then me has less miles then me its newer then mine and mine has only just started to make a grinding noise

Comment

I could understand the problems if I had done 30k+ but have never known discs to wear out after 6k, I have just spoken to the dealership again and they said that they are trying to get Citroen to agree to the work but its not looking hopeful. what they did say is that if Citroen do agree then they will only pay for the discs and will not replace the pads. I thought when replacing the discs it was a pretty standard thing that you replaced the pads aswell? then they went on to say but we will just re use the pads that are on the car? again if my discs are grooved then surely my pads will have worn with grooves in them?

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
                  Still ? I though Citroen sorted that issue 2 years ago ?
                  Yes it is still happening. We've got quite a fair few in our warehouse and they just keep coming, done 3 sets today.
                  :ds3:The Parts Advisor:ds3:
                  Partsworld-UK.com
                  Email
                  Call: 01246 268896
                  We're also dealers for Alfa, Fiat, Abarth, Hyundai, Seat, Suzuki and Volvo
                  *Please take a minute to write a quick review under your items on Partsworld-UK.com and also on Facebook*

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan@Partsworld-uk.com View Post
                    You would expect them to be covered after 3 months even if warranty does class them as 'wear and tear'.

Ok thanks I will keep an eye on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Daz9193 View Post
                      I thought when replacing the discs it was a pretty standard thing that you replaced the pads aswell? then they went on to say but we will just re use the pads that are on the car? again if my discs are grooved then surely my pads will have worn with grooves in them?
                      The pad surface will match the disc surface - where there are grooves in the discs there will be narrow ridges in the pads. The pads would no doubt quickly bed in to the new, flat disc friction faces, but it's bad practice not to fit new pads when the discs are replaced.

Comment

Whether Citroen or you get them done, new pads should be fitted really
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Guys, brakes are clearly stated as not being covered by the Warranty offered with Citroen regardless of mileage or age on the car. Sometimes within 6 months or 5k Citroen may offer goodwill but this is rare.

What you need to understand is that with the drive by the EU to make more products recyclable brake pads and disc also fall under this umbrella. What that means is the components used are no longer as durable as they used to be and many parts are made from re-forged steel. Discs or pads needing replaced after a year on a car that does low mileage is not that uncommon these days which prompted Citroen to change the service cycle from 2 to 1 year.

I know this is not what you want to hear but expecting Citroen to pay for items that come under all sorts of different stresses and wear is short sighted, unfortunately wear and tear is one of the crosses you have to bear when owning and running a modern car. Granted I expect this view will undoubtabley made me unpopular in this thread...
                          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                          Bigfeet's File Repository
                          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                            Guys, brakes are clearly stated as not being covered by the Warranty offered with Citroen regardless of mileage or age on the car. Sometimes within 6 months or 5k Citroen may offer goodwill but this is rare.

What you need to understand is that with the drive by the EU to make more products recyclable brake pads and disc also fall under this umbrella. What that means is the components used are no longer as durable as they used to be and many parts are made from re-forged steel. Discs or pads needing replaced after a year on a car that does low mileage is not that uncommon these days which prompted Citroen to change the service cycle from 2 to 1 year.

I know this is not what you want to hear but expecting Citroen to pay for items that come under all sorts of different stresses and wear is short sighted, unfortunately wear and tear is one of the crosses you have to bear when owning and running a modern car. Granted I expect this view will undoubtabley made me unpopular in this thread...
                            Bring tar and feathers!
                            Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
                            ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok View Post
                              Bring tar and feathers!
                              Am I getting married again??
                              ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                              Bigfeet's File Repository
                              The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                              X