• Show
Clear All

• looking at DS3

hi we are looking at buying a new DS3
    do i go for petrol or diesel
    we do 10k per year?
    whats the mpg like in the real world?
    cheers

Hi, i bought a diesel sport and do at least 8000 miles a year, and get an average of 55mpg on a 30 mile round trip to work and back. It's also zero road tax which is a bonus.
    Last edited by scubagazza; 19-12-2013, 19:55.
    DS3 1.6 Bluehdi Dsport Plus :STrooper:

Comment

I have the DSport+ 115 model, I do around 20k miles a year (maybe a bit less now I've started my new job) so the diesel is definitely the better buy for my usage. You need to work out the cost of your petrol or diesel usage, yes the diesel has better mpg and free road tax but they are a more expensive purchase
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
        I have the DSport+ 115 model, I do around 20k miles a year (maybe a bit less now I've started my new job) so the diesel is definitely the better buy for my usage. You need to work out the cost of your petrol or diesel usage, yes the diesel has better mpg and free road tax but they are a more expensive purchase
        thats the model we are looking at, we have a tdi golf at the mo and have always complained that the mpg is far below what we were expecting, currrently 48mpg average over 2yrs, so very disappointed...
        whats your mpg?
        ive always have diesels and swayed once to a 1.6 focus doing the offset in price and regretted it so will probably stick with diesel, or do i , i'll have to get the
        calculator out....

Comment

According to fuely my average MPG is running at

It's been as high as 61.7mpg and as low as 52mpg depending upon how fast I drive (as before Air con/climate is on all the time)....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
            According to fuely my average MPG is running at

It's been as high as 61.7mpg and as low as 52mpg depending upon how fast I drive (as before Air con/climate is on all the time)....
            thanks , better than my golf.

Comment

I'm well pleased with my oil burner, I get 25% more mileage out of a tank over my old Nissan juke dci, the DS3 having a bigger tank by only 2litres. So it's pretty similar in terms of capacity.
              DS3 1.6 Bluehdi Dsport Plus :STrooper:

Comment

Originally posted by steve67 View Post
                hi we are looking at buying a new DS3
                do i go for petrol or diesel
                we do 10k per year?
                whats the mpg like in the real world?
                cheers
                If you are considering one with THP, just keep looking at it as it is cheaper to look at one than own one.
                Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
                ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
                sigpic

Comment

With only 10k a year the running costs aren't likely to be a big deal either way between the petrol or diesel. I know you will pay a little less rego and use less diesel than petrol but with only 10k a year how much actual money is that? 10,000km difference between a THP150 and HDi110 wont be more than 500 pounds a year max. Ok a few beers maybe a week. The Diesel does have a much better reliability record though and is much less likely to bite you with big engine repair bills so if you are buying second hand this is well worth considering.

If I assume you want a 6 speed manual if you want best possible economy which is a good choice then it's THP150 turbo petrol or HDi110 turbo diesel engines to choose between. Both offer plenty of performance for a road car. In the standard performance metrics the THP150 killls the HDi110 soundly qrt mile 15.5@91mph vs 16.9@82mph (60 yards behind!), 0-60 7.3 vs 9.8sec, top speed 133 vs 118mph.

Economy wise the tables are reversed with 35mpg and 60 mpg being the worst these cars should do in any circumstances on the road. Doing 10,000 miles a year that's worst case 270 vs 460 pounds a year using premium diesel or super unleaded. 4 pounds a week difference!

For me in Aus it's AUD$270 vs AUD$485 difference with our petrol prices so only $4 a week difference or 2.18 pounds! That's why Citroen never imported any DS3 Diesels!

But in real terms its much closer 50-70mph in 5th gear 4.9 vs 6.4 secs! 40-60mph in 4th 5.5 vs 5.9 sec and 0-30 mph 2.7 vs 3.1 sec. Both can be tuned for more performance too of course. To drive the diesel feels great just with a shorter power range so you have to shift up earlier where the petrol revs further in each gear. Some people will find the petrol more satisfying in the way it revs and has a wider power band.

Comment

Working...
                  X