X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clio 197 Owner - Need advice :)

Hi all!

Newbie to the forum after some advice

I currently own a Clio 197 which I love, but I'm currently in the process of changing jobs and will need to commute every day (currently I catch a train to work). I have been on the look out for something a little more practical but still fun and something I can get decent mpg from. My budget is around the £9,000 mark. I want something 'newer' for my budget so I have dismissed anything German.... I keep finding myself being drawn towards a DS3! Being a petrol head I initially fancied the 1.6 THP as it is fast and still retains decent mpg. However, I understand there are very common engine problems on the early models

I am leaning towards the 1.6 110 HDI. Due to its huge mpg figures and decent performance. I want to ask is there anything I should be aware of when looking for a second hand model?

Also I understand with a few simple mods inc remap you can get 140bhp with a bag load of extra torque! Out of interest does anyone know what the 0-60 time would be. Also when modded how does it match up to the 1.6 thp?

Cheers

Mat

Clio 197 Owner - Need advice

The 110hdi is definately no slouch when it comes to performance. However the THP is still slightly quicker. But the main thing is the THP is more of a drivers car, coming from a Clio 197ish you'll know what I mean. You might nod off in the HDI

www.SPTuning.co.uk
    Facebook.com/SPTuning.Ltd
    Last edited by Jamie@SPTuning; 18-01-2014, 15:29.
    White on red THP
    Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
      You might nod off in the HDI

www.SPTuning.co.uk
      LOL. So says the Club Tuner.

Ed: Mat 197- You can check the car out and take preventative measures on buying an earlier model THP. Has it had its timing chain and tensioner replaced? (If not leave it) and any detonation issues apparent. Stick a catch can in, delete rear PCV, clean all intake, and change a few bits and you should be OK IMO. They going as low as £8k the early ones, if not cheaper.
      Last edited by Chris_Blue; 18-01-2014, 15:42.
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

It's just the reliability issues that put me off to be honest, otherwise I would go for a THP!

Given the torque the diesel has I don't think it would feel that slow compared to my 197 which has very little torque where you need it!

Comment

The main 2 issues with a THP are the timing chain stuff, and carbonisation of valves as a GDI engine. If you've got them covered off, then anything else could go on any other car IMO.
          Maybe one from a dealer with a warranty, tell them straight- any issues in 6 month want your money back

Good luck deciding- pays money, takes yer choice

Welcome to the Club BTW

ED- I had a June 2011 THP 150 that had no issues at all. If you get one go for after that date. Part exed mine for £10k 10 month ago, so they should be couple K less than that now
          Last edited by Chris_Blue; 18-01-2014, 16:19.
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll have a good think

Comment

Don't listen, diesels are great!!!
              Why go through all that grief and mods just for a little more power and less torque when you can simply re-map a diesel?

JB

Comment

Don't get me wrong- all DS3s are great- if you want a diesel, buy one. Not slating the DS3 Diesels at all. Ive driven a few diesels. Theyre OK.
                (But you may go to sleep in an edhi 115 so says Jamie at SPT)
                :redface:
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Jamie's THP isn't standard so I can see why he'd say that Chris, like Jimbob I'd rather have a reliable diesel than a fragile THP, yes both have issues but historically, on this forum, the THP's have the most problems and the biggest ones when they go.....

Time will tell if the issues are improved....
                  sigpic

Comment

Hmm yeah, I think I am leaning towards a diesel.

Does anyone know roughly, what the 0-60 time is of a remapped / modded 1.6 hdi running 140bhp? Just curious

Comment

I'd ask Jamie at SP Tuning (he's on the forum at the moment)
                      sigpic

Comment

Jamie - You look like the guy to ask

Do you know what the 0-60 time of a 140bhp 1.6hdi ds3 is? Just curious to know what the real world performance gains actually are.

Comment

I have never tested 0-60 on one of these...

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                          White on red THP
                          Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

30-70mph would be a better test for the derv surely.

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                            White on red THP

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                              30-70mph would be a better test for the derv surely.
                              www.SPTuning.co.uk
                              LOL. What are you suggesting?
                              sigpic
                              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                              X