The Saga of the Broken Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saga of the Broken Seat

A few weeks ago the mechanism for pulling the driver's seat forward (to let people into the back) failed, together with the ability to alter the angle of the seat back. It was booked in to be looked at by Citroen, who insisted a new seat was needed (thankfully under warranty).

The work was carried out and the car returned a few days ago, but I've noticed that there appears to be something missing from the back of the seat, meaning I can feel the seat mechanism and side airbag through the leather!

As seen in the photo, this means there's a big crease in the seat, which lead me to notice it in the first place.

I've been back to the dealer who couldn't really explain it, but they're going to investigate this week.

Makes me wonder - firstly, does anybody else think there's a design fault with that seat mechanism (the lever seen in the photo)? It's so unnatural to handle.

Secondly, for warranty work, should I be getting some paperwork from the dealer to confirm what work has been carried out? Because I've not had any.

Otherwise really enjoying the car but it's annoying when things like this result in multiple trips to the dealer!
    Last edited by DigitalCal; 09-02-2014, 19:14.

I'm not a fan of the mechanism. It always leaves me thinking, this could have been done better...

A lot of the times when I'm giving freinds a lift, they're always struggling to use it. It's also quite sudden when you release the lock, and flies either way.

It would have been nice to effortlessly lock it, as well as change the position. My 16yr old ford fiesta easier to adjust.

Comment

Originally posted by Arconic View Post
      I'm not a fan of the mechanism. It always leaves me thinking, this could have been done better...

A lot of the times when I'm giving freinds a lift, they're always struggling to use it. It's also quite sudden when you release the lock, and flies either way.

It would have been nice to effortlessly lock it, as well as change the position. My 16yr old ford fiesta easier to adjust.
      Yep, my friends are always a bit scared of it, thinking they're going to break it. We've also got a Fiat 500 in our household and the mechanism on that car is far easier and more natural to use.

Comment

I've never seen an issue like that before, let us know what the dealer do next....
        sigpic

Comment

Have a look in my repository thread. I have a vid for the correct way to use the handle. Nine times out ten people use the handle wrong

Sent from somehere out there...
          ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
          Bigfeet's File Repository
          The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
            Have a look in my repository thread. I have a vid for the correct way to use the handle. Nine times out ten people use the handle wrong

Sent from somehere out there...
            This doesn't change the fact that it's poorly designed and has failed. Both ways are hugely unnatural.

Comment

The handle action is designed for use of rear passengers in mind, hence the design. Its the same design as can be found in a SAAB convertible, once ypu get the idea there is method in the madness

We have only ever seem one failed and that was due to the customer forcing the seat.

Sent from somewhere out there...
              Last edited by Bigfeet; 10-02-2014, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet View Post
                The handle action is designed for use of rear passengers in mind, hence the design. Its the same design as can be found in a SAAB convertible, once ypu get the idea there is method in the madness

We have only ever seem one failed and that was due to the customer forcing the seat.

Aye... and look what happened to SAAB Jokes of course. The fact that you've had to upload a video to YouTube on how to use it suggests it isn't a user-friendly design, anyway! I'm not someone who likes to force things, so this was definitely a fault, as highlighted by the Citroen technician themselves.

Comment

You should have had some paperwork handed to you when you picked the car back up to state what work they have carried out and what parts have been fitted. Not to worry though because if it is done under warranty they can reprint it off for you on your next visit.
                  :ds3:The Parts Advisor:ds3:
                  Partsworld-UK.com
                  Email
                  Call: 01246 268896
                  We're also dealers for Alfa, Fiat, Abarth, Hyundai, Seat, Suzuki and Volvo
                  *Please take a minute to write a quick review under your items on Partsworld-UK.com and also on Facebook*

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalCal View Post
                    Aye... and look what happened to SAAB Jokes of course. The fact that you've had to upload a video to YouTube on how to use it suggests it isn't a user-friendly design, anyway! I'm not someone who likes to force things, so this was definitely a fault, as highlighted by the Citroen technician themselves.
                    Point taken. The main reason was that most dealers out there weren't showing customers at handover and they got the seat stuck! Me being such a helpful chap stepped in to save the day

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan@Partsworld-uk.com View Post
                      You should have had some paperwork handed to you when you picked the car back up to state what work they have carried out and what parts have been fitted. Not to worry though because if it is done under warranty they can reprint it off for you on your next visit.
                      Great, thanks for that! Thought it seemed odd not to have received anything. The car is booked in for next week; dealer suspects it needs padding replaced so I'll make sure I get paperwork from last time!

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't find the action of releasing the seat a problem?!

Is it a new seat? OR have they taken the cover off and replaced the mechanism and the cover has not been replaced properly?
                        BumbleBee OneTwenteeee!

Comment

The Saga of the Broken Seat

Originally posted by Sash View Post

Is it a new seat? OR have they taken the cover off and replaced the mechanism and the cover has not been replaced properly?
                          Well, this is the thing. They told me they'd be replacing the seat as they couldn't fix the mechanism, but I'm not convinced it's new, and the padding issue is making me think they've tried to do a quick fix instead, lifting the cover off and pulling some of the foam padding out to get at the mechanism. This is the problem with not having any paperwork. Should find out next week exactly what's what!

Comment

Our seat failed exactly the same way, a new seat frame was required, took 2 weeks to repair. Then 2 weeks later it broke again but it was just a cable that came off this time. It's not an easy job to fit the covers back over frames but our dealer did quite a good job. Just a pity they scratched the sill lifting the seat in and out.

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                            Facebook.com/SPTuning.Ltd
                            White on red THP
                            Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Originally posted by Sash View Post
                              Nope, no issues here either I did follow Biggie's guide from quite early on though....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X