Tyre Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Pressure

My brother says 34PSi(2.4bar) is to high pressure for a small car like a DS3.

What pressure in PSI would you recommend?

I use 2.2 bar myself. Dunno why, but it feels a bit grippier
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

its what the manual states and in the door. its in the same ballpark as most cars i can remember seem to of been 32 ish

Comment

I always take the advice of family members over the data supplied by vehicle manufacturers, tyre manufacturers, etc., who've probably only done a few hundred thousand miles testing under all sorts of conditions.

Comment

I will try 2.2 bar

Comment

The slightly less pressure, will soften the tyre a bit, so more surface area connects with the road surface
            This should grip a slightly bit more
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
              The slightly less pressure, will soften the tyre a bit, so more surface area connects with the road surface
              It'll affect economy though and also increase tyre wear.

Comment

Originally posted by mk2k41 View Post
                It'll affect economy though and also increase tyre wear.
                Only very slightly- like maybe 1mpg, and there are other reasons that affect tyre wear a lot more ie Drving style, braking hard etc etc
                But take your point mk2k41
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Only very slightly- like maybe 1mpg, and there are other reasons that affect tyre wear a lot more ie Drving style, braking hard etc etc
                  But take your point mk2k41
                  Oh yeah absolutely. But I've known people (idiots if we're honest) who went too far and were running well below the recommended pressures and then wondering why the above was happening!

Comment

Only time to run well below, is snow and ice. More grip
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Not quite true, too low an air pressure has the same effect as too much air pressure - the contact patch will be reduced on a "smooth" road surface. The softer tyre walls will also lead to less grip & response from the tyre as more deformation will be taken in the walls (not what you want).
                      The correct tyre pressure will give you the full contact patch of the tread when the vehicle is loaded, more load in the car, the higher the pressure required. The manufacture specs are normally pretty close to the optimum for safety reasons so it's better to stick to these unless you know what you’re doing :-)

Comment

I use the compressor that came with my first DS3 to check my tyre pressures every other week, I don't think I'd want to go against Citroen's recommendations....
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by katoon View Post
                          My brother says 34PSi(2.4bar) is to high pressure for a small car like a DS3.

What pressure in PSI would you recommend?
                          Manufacturer recommended is listed as 2.4bar on the sticker in my passenger side door shut. That's the one I've been using and would recommend.
                          - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                          - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                            I always take the advice of family members over the data supplied by vehicle manufacturers, tyre manufacturers, etc., who've probably only done a few hundred thousand miles testing under all sorts of conditions.
                            This.
                            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                            Bigfeet's File Repository
                            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Working...
                            X