Super Diesel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Diesel??

I was filling up this morning at a new petrol station and noticed they offered "Super Diesel"..... I was wondering what the benefits of this would be? Would it give me more MPG or is it just better for your engine??

I think it depends on which fuel station you were at, some claim to be better (cleaner) for the engines, others claim to give you improved performance etc.

I was persuaded to try Shell V Power Nitro diesel fuel a few months back, apparently you need to use it every fill for a time to allow the ECU to learn the fuel, aftrer that I'm not really sure it's worth the money. There may have been a small improvement in acceleration but not much
    sigpic

Comment

Most of the Super/Extra/Premium versions contain more Cetaine. its best to use a the usual diesel and buy an additive like Millers Diesel EcoMax. it treats upto 10 Tanks fulls on one bottle, just add to the tank and you fill it up. Plenty of VAG users use, and if i had another Diesel car, id be using it again. i used to pick it up at trade price for about 8 quid.

More info here: http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automot...227&sector=Car
      Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

Thanks Toxic, I saw it on Amazon for £10 delivered, might give that a go after payday !
        sigpic

Comment

for a tenner then your got at least 10 tanks fills to clean out the system. you should find the engine idles much smother than before and i found pick-up was improved when accelerating. I found it best to put the recommended amount in on an empty tank, then fill with diesel that way it will mix at time of filling.
          Simon

Comment

I've just used a tin of this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/BG244-DIESEL.../dp/B0062KYGZC

Was v impressed with it and was immediately noticeable too !
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info...have read up on Millers Diesel EcoMax and nothing but great comments. So, I would have to add the Millers Diesel EcoMax each and every time I fill up????

Comment

Not another one >.<

Comment

Originally posted by Goonerman1 View Post
                  Thanks for the info...have read up on Millers Diesel EcoMax and nothing but great comments. So, I would have to add the Millers Diesel EcoMax each and every time I fill up????
                  yep, there's a small container on top of the main part of the bottle that holds it think 25/50ml you just add the required amount (not sure on the ration but it is shown on the back of the bottle) into the tank before filling up.
                  Simon

Comment

Goonerman. Premium diesel fuel will be better for your engine, no end, in the long run
                    End of:star:
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

The thousands using normal diesel need to be told this
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                        The thousands using normal diesel need to be told this
                        Your still on the supermarket stuff then?
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Nope, but as I've posted here there is no noticeable difference with the Shell V Power Nitro and I wouldn't make statements like yours above without hard facts to back it up.

I would guess that many more diesel drivers use normal diesel (inc supermarket fuels) than use the premium versions and I don't see reports of engines being badly affected
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
                            Nope, but as I've posted here there is no noticeable difference with the Shell V Power Nitro and I wouldn't make statements like yours above without hard facts to back it up.
                            So i cant have a personal view then?

My personal view is that cheaper fuels burn dirtier, and this will create more issues with the Diesel particulate filters, and other engine parts
                            And its not just my personal view, there are plenty like it if you search the web

ED - Why you still using premium fuel, if theres no noticeable difference- dont understand?
                            Last edited by Chris_Blue; 09-04-2014, 20:32. Reason: spell
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                              Goonerman. Premium diesel fuel will be better for your engine, no end, in the long run
                              End of:star:
                              This is expressed as fact when it's just your opinion Chris, you admit that now but it could be misleading for someone new to the forum who doesn't know you like we all do. Normally a 'IMO' lets everyone know that's what it is.

I'll keep looking for the verified reports that confirm that premium fuels deliver the better cleaning or improved performance that justifies their additional cost.... I've seen other reports that don't match the claims of the distributors.... You pay your money and take your choice, currently I'm choosing to use the Shell V Power Diesel as I am doing less miles than I did previously, if I went back to several tanks a month then I would go back to looking for the best priced diesel.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X