What fuel do you use in the racing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fuel do you use in the racing.

Went to fill up today for the first time at my local Asda and noticed it said 98 Ron fuel only. Asda did not even sell it so had to drive to Shell. Does it make a differance the higher octane fuel is noticably more expensive. Cheers Iain
    Last edited by spitfire4; 20-09-2012, 08:25.

hi i have always used super unleaded from shell or the higher ones at any other fuel station it seems to be what others have said as well on other posts, hope that helps.
    DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Always purchase the premium grade fuels with the highest RON rating available, it maybe more expensive, however your engine will perform better not only from a throttle response point of view, but also a slight increase in MPG too, when compared to running your engine on the lesser RON rated fuels.

The ECU is self adaptive and will adjust the timing in accordance to the cylinder load sensing (knock) or for the old school, pinking, the greater the RON rating the less cylinder knock detection (pre ignition) and so your ECU will allow timing advancement sooner and for longer under all throttle conditions, putting more of a smile on your face for the little extra money spent.
      Performance Powered By Thought
      Engineered Horsepower

Comment

I recommend you use petrol !

Comment

Originally posted by ZACK View Post
          I recommend you use petrol !
          This! hahah

Comment

As Czar explains you will get the benefit of the performance from using super. It was my understanding that the engine, because of it's tuning, need the high RON rating.

I take it your dealer forgot to mention this when you were looking?
            ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
            Bigfeet's File Repository
            The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

vPower all the way
              http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
              Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

yes no mention oh well be worth it for smoother running

Comment

You can feel the difference with the fuel. Sometimes I have to put unleaded in when I don;t have a chance to get to the shell garage- hell of a difference
                  http://db.tt/tJZ0ZQG1
                  Black on Black DSports+ THP 155 16v Custom Remap to 193BHP; 230lb/ft

Comment

After reading that you get better performance and MPG with higher RON fuels, I've always used Shell V-Power in my THP 155. Probably doesn't make that much difference but as I do under 10k miles a year I'm willing to pay the extra.
                    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Well- Ive tried BP Ultimate, Tesco Momentum (99 RON) and now SHELL V-Power as V-Power was recommneded by my exhaust supplier/fitter who said "All the guys at Santa Pod use the stuff"

Have used several tanks of each, and I must say I thought Ultimate was best for smoothness and its claim of better burning (Less carbon deposits)

So- I'm none the wiser and will stick to V-Power for a while. Wonder what the burn is on it

Sorry to but in on a DS3-R thread
                      CBLUE
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Same here. Only using BP Ultimate for my THP.
                        With V-Power the DS3 runs not as smooth as with Ultimate.
                        Besides that V-Power gives less power (-3hp and -7nm)
                        DS3 THP Sport Chic Blanc Banquise / Noir Onyx - Forge Pipe Kit - Forge Induction Kit - Forge Recirculating Valve - Custom Intercooler - H&R 25mm

Comment

Was getting slight hesitation in my THP using regular unleaded... Switched to V-Power, no hesitation at all... Back to regular... Hesitation..

Going to try BP Ultimate next, either way it's going into the garage!

Comment

Gonna use the V-Power in my tank, and get back to Ultimate me
                            When you say hesitation x6411 what sort of hesitation?
                            Pulling away? changing up/down then accelerating, deadspots, overtaking/ or the full blown dont go much when you put your foot down
                            Obviously we have the colder weather coming in, and that could make an uneven idle for first 10 minutes
                            Also best not use the turbo till engine warm

Sorry again for thread hijack
                            CBLUE
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                              Gonna use the V-Power in my tank, and get back to Ultimate me
                              When you say hesitation x6411 what sort of hesitation?
                              Pulling away? changing up/down then accelerating, deadspots, overtaking/ or the full blown dont go much when you put your foot down
                              Obviously we have the colder weather coming in, and that could make an uneven idle for first 10 minutes
                              Also best not use the turbo till engine warm

Sorry again for thread hijack
                              CBLUE
                              Like a kind of judder when accelerating.. Usually in 3rd/4th/5th - Kind of like the judder you would get if you tried to pull away in too high of a gear, I haven't really noticed a pattern of when it is happening, because it hasn't been happening very often (yet!?)

One example was I was in sixth doing about 65, the traffic ahead cleared so I changed to fifth and accelerated... Smooooth acceleration at first, as you would usually expect...Then a few seconds later while continuing to accelerate... Judder!

Comment

Working...
                              X