Air scoop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air scoop

Well given that the ds3 does have a tendency to get rather warm under the bonnet and this does impede engine performance has anyone considered an air scoop on the bonnet like the cooper s has?

I think it would look awesome on the racing! But to be honest I'm no expert on engines so don't know whether is would be a good or bad thing.

Is very hot under there. not saying don't do it, just personally think it's very easy to overdo the look, sometimes subtle works better than in your face.
    Oh and the mini scoop is all show.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Have been looking at bonnet vents, getting the right ones and right placement, then it includes possibly a bit of spray work and starts getting pricey
      On my list, but lower down, awaiting some brave soul to get it done first
      CBLUE
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

Comment

hi as i said to chris about 2 weeks a go mine will be done soon watch this space.
        DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

i reckon not to have one in the middle of the bonnet but where the bonnet shut line is with the bumper flare that up, means the air is right in on the turbo then. in the imagination it looks better than the cooper s scoop ( my opinion)
          Last edited by mattds3sport; 21-02-2013, 19:39.

Comment

it needs to be there at the front close to turbo area you will see soon.
            DS3 RACING | SUPERCHIPPED 233bhp/321nm | ITG INDUCTION

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fuds View Post
              Well given that the ds3 does have a tendency to get rather warm under the bonnet and this does impede engine performance
              What evidence have you to back up that statement?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                What evidence have you to back up that statement?
                Really?? The existence of cold air feeds, inter coolers, induction kits, and myriad other performance aids which all improve cold Air flow or help vent hot air away from the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuds View Post
                  Really?? The existence of cold air feeds, inter coolers, induction kits, and myriad other performance aids which all improve cold Air flow or help vent hot air away from the engine.
                  As I said, have you any proof? Most of the stuff you mention is intended to feed cold air into the engine, not out of the engine compartment. Aftermarket cold air feeds, induction kits, etc., are rarely better than the OE system & can actually reduce power; they often just make more noise.

Intercoolers are a different thing; they cool the incoming air after it has passed through the turbo; again, bigger is not necessarily better.

Unless performance claims are backed up with dyno or other tests they are meaningless.

Some interesting videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxe...=ELSQ4TWTlvef4

Comment

Yes, as what DaveB says, better get an decent intercooler.
                    Also an better flowing exhaust will reduce heat underneath the bonnet.
                    Why? Because the Turbo don't has to push hard to get the performance.
                    With other words, you'll have the same amount of power on lower boost levels.
                    Love boost means an turbo working less harder and with that producing less heat!

About the pod / induction filters.
                    On Turbo engines an induction kit will give you extra power when combining it with an decent intercooler.
                    Without that, It's possible you'll loose some power!
                    DS3 THP Sport Chic Blanc Banquise / Noir Onyx - Forge Pipe Kit - Forge Induction Kit - Forge Recirculating Valve - Custom Intercooler - H&R 25mm

Comment

So why bigger intercoolers not necessarily better as they should all cool, and is it not the bigger the better!
                      Only to the outside temperature I suppose, and if its dual pass spose it gets heated back up again to a degree

Channelling air into engine bay, was told the exit of the air is as important as the introduction
                      Introduction directed to the intercooler would be useful
                      Never heard much good about the induction kit, so will spend the money elsewhere
                      CBLUE
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                        As I said, have you any proof? Most of the stuff you mention is intended to feed cold air into the engine, not out of the engine compartment. Aftermarket cold air feeds, induction kits, etc., are rarely better than the OE system & can actually reduce power; they often just make more noise.

Intercoolers are a different thing; they cool the incoming air after it has passed through the turbo; again, bigger is not necessarily better.

Unless performance claims are backed up with dyno or other tests they are meaningless.

Some interesting videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxe...=ELSQ4TWTlvef4
                        Ok so what your saying is that reducing the temperature in the engine bay is pointless and that an air scoop ( the point of this post) would just be for show. Well thats fine as i think they look cool even if they offer no benefits at all according to you.

As i said i am no expert on engines so will bow to your knowledge every days a school day!
                        Last edited by Fuds; 22-02-2013, 20:59. Reason: typo

Comment

Nothing wrong with doing something for show. As long as it does't turn out like the back of Chris's car

"couldn't help my self Chris"
                          Originally posted by cyclone
                          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                          Originally posted by Broda
                          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Least my badges come off Cycles- your stuck with the back of yours
                            "couldnt help myself Cycles"
                            CBLUE
                            sigpic
                            Jog on Noddy

Comment

Is cyclone's the Belle Ile on in his profile? If so it's beautiful.....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X