Citroën to miss 2016 WRC season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citroën to miss 2016 WRC season

CEO Linda Jackson confirmed the decision to concentrate all the firm's sporting efforts on the WRC, along with plans to make a fresh start in the sport it dominated between 2004 and 2012.

“With eight world titles and a record 94 wins, Citroën has certainly enjoyed unrivalled success in the WRC,” said Jackson

“Rallying is a fascinating sport, which tests the performance, reliability and solidity of the cars and drivers in some magnificent settings. The category is taking off again, with increasingly widespread live television coverage and the arrival of China on the calendar in 2016.

"In 2017, the appearance of a new generation of cars, which are purported to be very attractive, will coincide with our renewed involvement. Everything will therefore be in place for us to write a new chapter in our history. Given the brand’s rich heritage, this challenge had to be ambitious. We will however be modest in our approach, gradually stepping up our objectives to the very top.”

The decision to remain in the WRC will bring an end to Citroën's participation in the WTCC. Having dominated the sport for the last two seasons, Citroën's programme will conclude at the end of its third in 2016.

Citroën Racing boss Yves Matton said the 2017 changes to the World Rally Championship's technical regulations represented an opportunity to compete on equal terms with rival manufacturers, and to use lessons learned on the race circuit.

“We have never hidden our interest in the 2017 WRC regulations and the entire team is extremely motivated by this new challenge,” he said. “We like the freedom granted to make the cars more spectacular, but also the possibility of reusing development work done on the Citroën C-Elysée WTCC’s engine."

Matton confirmed that in order to hit the ground running in 2017 Citroën would not enter the 2016 World Rally Championship as a works team.

"With a view to managing our resources efficiently, we have decided to focus all our efforts on designing and developing our new World Rally Car," he said. "We will obviously be keeping a close eye on the WRC, both with the organisation of the FIA Junior WRC and with the WRC 2 programme for Quentin Gilbert, this year’s JWRC Champion.”

Citroën's announcement makes no reference to 2015 WRC season drivers Kris Meeke or Mads Østberg, both of whom were being considered for future opportunities with the squad.
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Place your bets!!

Would a C3 be way off the mark?

Considering the DS3 is no longer a 'Citroen' by name.....
    My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Nemo to the rescue!!!
      cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

When is a new C3 planned? Around 2017? I can't imagine them using a current generation C3. It will be an old model by 2017. Also, a C3 rally car just doesn't sound right to me. C3's aren't seen or sold as sporty cars. But then again, in that size, there's not much else in the Citroen range.

Comment

Ds4r

Comment

The current C3 is just a DS3 in disguise.

There's quite a bit online about the 2017 possibility of a WRC C3

Would be an easy transition and as you say, not much else in that size to rival the Fiesta and Polo
            My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Glad I went to Wales rally gb last week now....

Do you think loeb will be back in Citroen rally car in 2017 now he is no longer in the wtcc

Comment

The new c3 looks completely different. You wouldnt believe that, or the c3 picasso are the same cars as their previous models.

One word,

Airbumps.
                :ds3: Part-Time DS Champ - Citroen & DS Sales Exec :ds3:

Comment

Originally posted by Acmaguire View Post
                  The new c3 looks completely different. You wouldnt believe that, or the c3 picasso are the same cars as their previous models.

One word,

Airbumps.
                  Hope they update the chassis while they are at it. The current one, same as ours, is getting kind of old.
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                  X