X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodafone Rally de Portugal - 29 March - 01 April 2012

Vodafone Rallye de Portugal
    29 march - 01 April 2012

Three night stages are among the main changes to the route of Vodafone Rally de Portugal, which maintains its hub in the Algarve region of the country.

Following the superspecial stage around the Praca do Imperia in the capital Lisbon on the afternoon of Thursday 29 March, crews will now tackle three tests - all run at night and in quick succession - during the 300-kilometre journey back to the event’s base at Faro’s Algarve stadium, a venue for the Euro 2004 football tournament.

The night stages have an average distance of 12 kilometres, which has resulted in the rally’s overall competitive route rising from 385.31 kilometres in 2011 to 434.77 kilometres for 2012.

After a slightly delayed start owing to the late finish on Thursday, competitors will head to the Tavira municipality for the first time since 2007 for three repeated stages on Friday.

Saturday’s format is unchanged from 2011 with the same three stages run twice, although the Power Stage on Sunday has been trimmed significantly in length to increase the spectacle for fans watching the live television coverage.

Drivers will fight for the right to select their road position for the opening day of the event by tackling the 4.96-kilometre Vale do Judeu qualifying stage on the morning of Wednesday 28 March.

Running order on gravel rallies is crucial and with three stages on day one run at night - where hanging dust clouds caused by less wind can create a major obstacle - drivers are expected to push flat out in an effort to secure a favourable starting slot.

Portugal’s stages, which include a mixture of open roads and technical and narrow sections, are characterised by their abrasive surface. This puts the onus on tyre wear although the late March date means this might not be as apparent as in 2010 when tyre wear rates were reported as being 40 per cent higher than on other gravel rallies.

Vodafone Rally de Portugal will once again form the opening round of the six-event FIA WRC Academy Cup.

Sebastien Loeb expects a close fight for victory on Vodafone Rally de Portugal, round four of the FIA World Rally Championship powered by Nokia.

Although the Citroen Total World Rally Team ace was able to extend his title lead with this second win in three starts this season on Rally Guanajuato Mexico earlier this month, the Frenchman fears improvements made to Ford’s Fiesta WRC will narrow any advantage he might have had.

“This is the first rally where we will really be able to gauge the relative strengths of the crews,” said Loeb. “In Mexico, we saw that our rivals had made a significant step forward performance-wise at an event where they had not previously done that well. If the same is true in Portugal, then we’re going to have a very close fight on our hands.”

Despite acknowledging the strength of his competition, Loeb said he is optimistic for a strong result on the Algarve-based rally, which runs from 29 March-1 April.

“As far as we’re concerned, our preparations for this rally have gone well,” said the eight-time world champion. “Our DS3 WRC has been quick on all surfaces since the start of the season and I think it will be no different in Portugal.”

Loeb’s team-mate Mikko Hirvonen, who is 16 points adrift of his Citroen colleague in the standings, is similarly positive ahead of the Portuguese qualifier getting underway in Lisbon on Thursday afternoon.

“I feel confident for this rally,” said the Finn. “In Mexico, I managed to set some good times and was neck and neck with Seb on day one. I still have to work on adapting my driving style to the DS3 WRC because I tend to push too hard and end up getting the car too sideways. The engineers even said they were considering removing the handbrake! When I drive like that, I note that my times aren’t so good. So I need to work on that, but I think I’ll be even better in Portugal.”
    My DS3R3... nearly....
    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Qualifying Stage resultes:

1.latvala
    2.Solberg
    3.Hirvonen
    4.Loeb
    5.Tanak
    6.Sordo

Driving positions will be picked this afternoon. There you go again, Loeb not fastest meaning the others pick first and he just slots in usually in just the right position. Bloody clever that Loeb bloke, lol.

Comment

Wow, starting positions Mikko is first on the road followed by Loeb and the fords have elected to take the last two positions Latvala last with Solberg just before. Who is psyching who out?

Comment

Was Mixin in Portugal today :confused: 17 seconds in

DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

Loeb crashed and out last night and today both fords have crashed out. Come on Mikko!

Comment

Whizzz

My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

i agree arlow maybe he was there for a cheese seminar

Comment

OUCH!!

Comment

Eeeep, Guess wel'll let him off for not rolling back over and carrying on

And yeah, go me and my French! Understood two words. Left and right.

My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

And your navigating in my new car in two weeks in FRANCE! lol

Comment

Hirvonen grabs the lead

This morning’s three stages, disputed in very muddy and foggy conditions, saw a large number of casualties among the leading contenders, leaving Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen to go top of the overall standings.

After heavy overnight rainfall, the Tavira, Alcarias and S. Brás de Alportel were totally waterlogged. Once the first car had completed the stage, the racing line was turned into a quagmire and the drivers were faced with a real balancing act just to keep their cars on the road.

Mikko Hirvonen proved to be most effective in controlling his car. While Jari-Matti Latvala and Petter Solberg went off on SS5 and SS7, the Finn produced a faultless performance, which enabled him to grab the overall lead at the day’s half-way stage.

With a lead of over half a minute on Novikov and Østberg, the Citroën Total World Rally Team driver is aware of the opportunity that he has now: “It’s not the first time we have had such difficult conditions, but what we were faced with this morning was fairly exceptional. There were places where the visibility was so poor that you couldn’t even see the end of the corner! You just have to drive slowly, sometimes in first or second gear. That’s all you can do. For the moment, we are in the lead. We just need to keep going.”

Nasser Al-Attiyah, who is used to extreme conditions, drove well this morning. Twelfth at the end of day one, the Qatari moved up to sixth after negotiating the tricky conditions successfully: “When I saw the conditions, I decided to adopt a measured approach. I thought there would be a lot of retirements, and that has been the case. We’re not far off fourth place. I am pleased with my race so far.”

Nasser is only a few seconds ahead of Peter Van Merksteijn Jr., who also produced a fine performance in his DS3 WRC.

Fifth this morning, Thierry Neuville was forced to retire on SS5. The Citroën Junior WRT driver’s engine overheated after he had ran into difficulty crossing a ford. Thierry may be able to rejoin the rally under Rally2 regulations provided his DS3 WRC hasn’t suffered any mechanical damage.

The day is set to continue with a second run over the stages. SS8 was scheduled to start at 3.56pm, but the organisers have already indicated that there will be a 30 to 60 minute delay.
                      My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

For those of us who don't speak French here is Seb Loeb's explanation of the crash in English.

Comment

Mikko leads overnight only Sunday to go and over a minute in fronf. Attilayah challenging with Solberg for third

Comment

Don't forget Thierry Neuville who is only 4.4 seconds off of a points finish

Comment

Mikko Hirvonen wins !! now leads the championship.

Al-Attiyah finished fifth and Thierry Neuville was in the points.
                              Last edited by Yellow; 01-04-2012, 20:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X