No announcement yet.

Petter Solberg to make full-time rallycross switch in 2013 – in a Citroen DS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petter Solberg to make full-time rallycross switch in 2013 – in a Citroen DS3

Petter Solberg to make full-time rallycross switch in 2013

Former World Rally champion Petter Solberg will make a full-time switch to rallycross for 2013, competing in both Europe and America.

Solberg will use a Citroen DS3 in both the revamped FIA-sanctioned European RX championship and the American-based Global Rallycross series, plus the X Games.

"Where else could I remain in a powerful all-wheel-drive turbo which is more or less a WRC car aside from the extra 300hp, and have between five and eight others around me spitting fire as well?" said Solberg. "That to me is just too hard to pass up.

"I really want to become a champion at least one more time in my career. I am a showman and I want to make some noise. Rallycross will fit me perfectly."

The 2003 WRC title-winner began his career in rallycross in the mid-1990s.

"In 1996, I actually considered the European Rallycross series for my long-term future but it turned out that rally would pull me in," Solberg added.

The Norwegian, who lost his WRC Ford seat at the end of last season, will make his first competitive appearance of 2013 on Rally Sweden next weekend, when he contests the parallel historic event.

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105336
    Citroen DS3 Racing [2011] - Black & Orange & Carbon Fibre
    Citroen 2CV6 Special [1987] Snail (°\=/°)
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso [2008] - 1.6 HDI EGS Exclusive family bus

Petter Solberg confirms plans for 2013

Petter Solberg: Rallycross is a place where I can be myself. Once again I can work closely with my sponsors, be very close to the fans, have my own team of qualified people, and be my own boss. It is a great mix...

2003 World Rally Champion Petter Solberg is to switch back to competing in Rallycross this year, it has been announced.

The Norwegian, who was unable to secure a seat this season in the FIA World Rally Championship, is planning to create his own team again - something he did successfully in the WRC from 2009 to 2011. He will use a Citroen DS3 Rallycross car, which is currently being built and should be ready at the end of next month.

Solberg's precision programme has still to be defined, although he is evaluating competing in either the Global RallyCross Series or the FIA European Rallycross Championship. In addition 'Hollywood' also intends to bid for Gold in the four Global X Games events, which will take place in Brazil, Barcelona, Munich and Los Angeles.

“It feels a bit like getting back to my roots,” said Solberg. “My motorsport career started with Rallycross. In 1996 I actually considered the European Rallycross series for my long-term future but it turned out that rallying would pull me in. I devoted 15 years of my life to rally before calling an end to it in December last year – it was some of the best years of my life.

“I have received many offers to drive in various forms of motorsport, cars and teams since that announcement. However, I feel that the opportunities that the two major series [Global RallyCross Series and FIA European Rallycross Championship] are presenting from here on out starting in 2013 is the most progressive - it is the coolest sport. It's a place where I can be myself. Once again I can work closely with my sponsors, be very close to the fans, have my own team of qualified people, and be my own boss. It is a great mix.

"Where else could I remain in a powerful awd turbo which is more or less a WRC car aside from the extra 300hp, and have between five and eight others around me spitting fire as well?! That to me is just too hard to pass up.

“Rallycross is a perfect automotive action sport. It has close fights between powerful cars, it's an arena sport, it's very accessible, and it's easy to follow with plenty of racing throughout the day all in one place. Understand this, it is quite a show to be seen and heard!

"I really want to become a Champion at least one more time in my career! You know me, I am a showman and I want to make some noise. Rallycross will fit me perfectly.”

Solberg's new Rallycross team, including sponsors and livery, will be presented at a later date.

Source: http://www.crash.net/world+rally/new..._for_2013.html

Comment

Lets hope we see him at Round 1 in Llyden on April 1st

Comment

Originally posted by ds3adi View Post
        Lets hope we see him at Round 1 in Llyden on April 1st
        Was thinking that... Might fancy a trip down for that.
        2012 DS3 Dsport Plus 110HDI - Black

WRC Clothing For Sale

Comment

Looking good:

His brother will be there with Saab:

Henning will pilot one of Per Eklund’s proven Saab 9-3′s at the the season opener. Whilst the car may be a little long in the tooth now they proved competitive stateside in 2012 in unfamiliar surroundings.

As with brother Petter, Henning also has previous experience in Rallycross.
          My DS3R3... nearly....
          New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Only trouble is both the Dorans, Ekerrunds and Solbergs ALL black. If its as muddy as last year god help us

Comment

Flaming HOT!!!

Comment

He should have got a better close up
                My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

'Engine roar from my brand new Citroën DS3 sound like beautiful music. Nine days before the start at Lydden Hill, Petter Solberg RX Team is in the final stages of preparing my RX SuperCar debut. I'm on fire over the last days development. Thanks to my fantastic Team!'
                  My DS3R3... nearly....

Comment

Originally posted by ds3adi View Post
                    Flaming HOT!!!
                    Zack's does that !!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X