Turbo heat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo heat.

I just thought I would share this, for those of you not quite sure on just how much heat your turbo produces, yes I know it's a BMW MINI, however, it's the same situation for you.

Performance Powered By Thought
    Engineered Horsepower

Not much then... O.O
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

My old RS Turbo used to do that...amazing it still works afterwards
      White on red THP
      Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Never had mine like that, just a dull faint glow.. Will take a stab thats at around 900°C

Is it a problem this car has no heatshield as that is how i am using mine at the minute.

Comment

That's a bit warm. I'm guessing you wouldn't want to accidentally touch that!
          Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

Just need a frying pan bacon and eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by colganraz View Post
              Never had mine like that, just a dull faint glow.. Will take a stab thats at around 900°C

Is it a problem this car has no heatshield as that is how i am using mine at the minute.
              That was photographed during a rolling road session, what you see in the image, is the engine under full load, the exhaust gas temperature was 830° and the turbine housing had a spot temperature of 980°

The car had its turbo heat shield refitted, my advice is NOT to run without the turbo heat shield.
              Engineered Horsepower

Comment

This may be a stupid question but why not run it with out a heat shield?

Comment

Originally posted by gaz_dsport View Post
                  This may be a stupid question but why not run it with out a heat shield?
                  Very simple answer, the radiant heat melts the front of the camshaft cover, how do I know, I said back in 2009 when I saw a few BMW MINI challenge cars, running the race series without the heat shield, that's exactly what would happen, resulting in fires, and no surprise, the teams continued to race, well, they did until they experienced engine bay fires, did they listen, no !!
                  Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Wow. That's a toasty glow. Wouldn't expect that with a car.
                    Aka:
                    Alex

:ds3:
                    Blue Phoenix
                    DStyle+ 1.6 e-HDi

Comment

Thats quite amazing
                      DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
                      Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Comment

that looks quite hot
                        sigpic
                        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                        X