Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225/50r17

Is this size possible to fit?
    I know speedometer will be a little off but will these fit?

Yes, I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40R18 on mine and whilst its tight, they fit fine.

Comment

According to this comparison (https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-225-50r17) mine would be even bigger, +3% .
      I have found 2nd hand alloys with 225/50r17 almost new winter tyres for 450 euro. They seem in nearly perfect condition but might be too big, I'm having doubts.

Comment

(Sorry double posted)
        Last edited by grijs; 06-12-2015, 20:38. Reason: Double post

Comment

Originally posted by grijs View Post
          According to this comparison (https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r18-225-50r17) mine would be even bigger, +3% .
          I have found 2nd hand alloys with 225/50r17 almost new winter tyres for 450 euro. They seem in nearly perfect condition but might be too big, I'm having doubts.
          I would have thought the inch less diameter would have accounted for the extra 10mm. Is the 3% is over the original size or my tyres.

According to the RIMSTYLE website, a 17" rim should have a tyre with a max width of 215 so 215/50/R17. Mine are 18" rims hence why I can get 225s on ok.

So yes you can use a 50 on a 17" rim but 225 may be a little too fat.

Comment

Yes 225 seems very wide for a 17 inch. The +3% is over yours, and +5,8% over the original.
            Decided not to buy them, they may be too heavy and I dont wanne hurt my mpg that much.

Comment

Saying 225 is to wide for 17" rim is just nonsense.
              The width of the tire you can put on a 17" rim has absolutely nothing to do with with the diameter of that rim and everything to do with the width of that rim.

edt: The tire manufacturer should have a list of recommended rim widths for any particular tire.
              Last edited by cyclone; 07-12-2015, 09:14.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                For a DS3, I couldn't find a website that would supply a 225 wide tyre on a 17" wheel. 225 on an 18" yes.

Comment

The width of the tire you can put on a 17" rim has absolutely nothing to do with with the diameter of that rim and everything to do with the width of that rim.

edt: The tire manufacturer should have a list of recommended rim widths for any particular tire.
                  We are just comparing 225 50 r17 with 225 40 r18. This results in a bigger wheel diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by grijs View Post
                    We are just comparing 225 50 r17 with 225 40 r18. This results in a bigger wheel diameter.
                    I wouldnt go any bigger than mine personally, there is very little room to play with and its not difficult to get the tyre to rub on the inside of the arch if there is any weight in the back of the car, certainly over speed bumps.

Il probably get myself some stiffer springs in the future.

On the Rimstyle website, the biggest they recommend is 45's on a 17 inch rim.
                    Last edited by Superfly Guy; 07-12-2015, 09:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
                      I wouldnt go any bigger than mine personally, there is very little room to play with and its not difficult to get the tyre to rub on the inside of the arch if there is any weight in the back of the car, certainly over speed bumps.

Il probably get myself some stiffer springs in the future.
                      Ok then I'll surely pass on them, thanks for sharing.

Comment

The rim width needs to be specified to say what tire size would fit on any particular 17" rim. As this has not been done I am only pointing out that that a 225 has no problems fitting on a 17" rim that is wide enough to accept it. Being that only general statements saying 225 tire will not fit a 17" rim have been made and that is just not true.

Comment

The rim width needs to be specified to say what tire size would fit on any particular 17" rim. As this has not been done I am only pointing out that that a 225 has no problems fitting on a 17" rim that is wide enough to accept it. Being that only general statements saying 225 tire will not fit a 17" rim have been made and that is just not true.
                          Sorry but I've never said they wouldn't fit on the rims, I only concluded 225 was too wide for 50r17 and results in a bigger overall wheel diameter, therefor 225/50r17 is too big for ds3. As I wrote before I found 2nd hand ones that already had those tyres on, so it was never a question if the tyres would fit the rims, but simply if those wheels would fit the ds3.

Comment

I stand corrected you didn't say they wouldn't fit,:eek: but you could easy. Just need to get a 17 in rim with the right width and offset or just spacers or a bit of milling depending on you current rims and you would be golden. For speedometer error what is 4 mph at 60 between friends

Comment

Working...
                            X