Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Turbo help

Hello everyone
    It seems that a lot of thp have issues with their small turbos when being modified. ( Two of them in my country after having an ecu remap to 190 bhp, one had a wastegate failure and the other one ended up in a broken turbo), I ve also read of a
    few other issues relating to the turbo when being modified . I don't know if its a case of a poor ecu remap or just the turbo being too small to handle any extra load

My local tuning shop suggested me to go for a mini cooper S turbo (it can be fitted to the ds3 thp) and also with an ecu remap and running it 'safe' it can go to around 215-220bhp

I was wondering if fitting a bigger turbo will cause any issues ? I know a few people in this forum have fitted a bigger turbo to their thps

If you are increasing the power via any means then you need to start looking at weak points or bottlenecks, have a search for the various posts CZAR has made on the subject. Increased power means increased heat in the engine plus increased stress on other components like the drivetrain and clutch, a bad map and/or excess heat can cause irregular detonation leading to piston failure. I think Jamie at SP Tuning (a forum member and DS3 THP owner) has or had a larger turbo in his workshop, not sure if he has got round to fixing it on.
    Think about cause and effect, bigger turbo, more pressure, more heat, possible crack followed by bang.

Comment

Never blown a turbo on a THP. The ko3 unit is pretty strong and more than capable of seeing 190hp without stressing it.
      White on red THP
      Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

If you want more horsepower, you need more than a bigger turbo
        For a small setup, you need an intercooler, 200 cell metal cat Downpipe, Full Exhaust system. With all of that you can go up to 210HP.
        With a bigger turbo (+ everything from the small setup) you can go to 230HP+
        Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
        DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

Hi again
          I didn't post this thread for guides on how to gain more power.. I post it to see if anybody went for a bigger turbo and if the bigger turbo gave any problems

My friend's thp (with the ecu remap) had issues with the plastic turbo intake hose, it was ripping it off. He decided to install a stronger 'racing' turbo hose and after 5 months the turbo wastegate brokedown. Its a single part on the thp so you can not change the wastegate, you have to change the whole turbo that comes with the wastegate.. maybe it was a case of a bad ecu remap then

Comment

Working...
          X