Removing chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing chrome

Hi guys, I'm new to this and I havent found a thread that can relate to this. I'm looking at removing all the
    chrome for the exterior of my car. So the grill surround and citroen logo, rear DS3 logo, and door trims. Any ideas on the best way to remove them, and are they an easy job to paint yourself as I'm looking at doing
    them all black.

Thanks

Welcome!

This should help you with the front bumper - http://www.mediafire.com/download/ag...bumper+DS3.pdf

As far as I remember, both front and rear badges can be removed simply with a bit of heat/fishing line

Door trims just lift off and are held with a couple of clips.

Good luck!
    cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Some are easier to leave it situ re fiddly getting them back on again.

Plasti dip is really effective and easy to use:
      http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....astiDip-Pimpin

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/showthread....pped-my-badges.

Because of how narrow the grill surround is in places I'd leave that on - could easily snap in places.

The Chrome sides are just stuck on.
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Alright thanks guys, I'll just tape off the surrounding the area. The plasti dip sounds like a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by SamGrattan View Post
          Alright thanks guys, I'll just tape off the surrounding the area. The plasti dip sounds like a good idea
          Yeah, I'm yet to try it! But I like that you don't have to get it 100% first time because you can peel away over spray etc.

Originally posted by Dangerousfish View Post

Door trims just lift off and are held with a couple of clips.

Just a side note - think Liam is reffering to the interior door trim. Did you mean the chrome exterior ones?

This shows you how things are in place on the front if you wanted any more info

My DS3R3... nearly....
          New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Someone's going to be busy

Comment

Yeah I think I'll just spray it with the the grill still attached haha. And yeah the exterior ones on the door, so basically
              everything that is chrome on the outside is blacked out

Comment

Old thread bump

I wanna remove my chrome side strips i seen there's some limited ones didn't have them. Surely they all share same body and I can just remove mine with no negative impact right?

Comment

Depending on what year it might have pins in the baguettes holding them on. I believe post-2012 they were just stuck on and a heat gun/hairdryer, some floss, and some tar remover should be enough to get it off.

The only problem is if the paintwork around them has faded in the sun or got thick dirt around the edge which won't budge, making the fresh paint under the baguettes seem overly bright. Depends on colour really, I think white would have a stark difference if it's an older car.
                  ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                  Join the Facebook Group!
                  Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Thanks Ben mines a 63 plate so late 2013 black red edition.

So it's black body and red roof. The paint fade would be easy enough to sort just don't wanna remove them to find holes in the body but I suppose would be easy to clip them back in if so. Would just be nice to remove rather than wrap or plasti dip.

Comment

I think you should be ok then. Let us know how you get on
                      Join the Facebook Group!
                      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Will see what I can try today! Would be so happy if I can get the chrome side bits off. Just means I need to figure what with door handles and fog surrounds

Comment

Ok! So got a update

Rear chrome strip removes no problem with no negative affects.

The side door chrome bits on the facelift have hole! So one of my corners not flush so I lifted it slightly and saw a peg into the body so I would not advice remove the side bits unless you got a body shop who can fill the hole and paint. Not worth it.

So my only option is to go get wrapped or plasti dip them. Really gutted with these options tbh I wanted rid of them

So yeah facelift 2013+ have holes in the body! Nice one Citroen

Comment

Originally posted by amatthews45 View Post
                            So yeah facelift 2013+ have holes in the body! Nice one Citroen
                            Go buy a 2010-11 base model they did not come with the side chrome and there were no pins on the other models. Once the side chrome was made standard on all models it was then that Citroen changed to having locating pins.
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Damn it, that's good info for everyone else though as there is a lot of confusion surrounding pins/no pins. I got told only this weekend gone that it was the other way round.

If you do end up getting them wrapped then red would tie in well with your red edition.
                              Join the Facebook Group!
                              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Working...
                              X