Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 or 15 inch wheels? Looking for comfort

Hi all,
    In the process of buying a yellow DS3, which has 17 inch Bellone's. The ride is rather rough especially on the crap roads round here.
    I've seen that the base model has 16 inch wheels, which would give me a bit more sidewall.
    The older C3 was also available with 15 inch wheels, and Saxos even with 14.
    Would a 14 or a 15 inch wheel fit? And would it be safe?
    E.g. a 15 inch with 195 / 65 / 15 tyres would give me 37% more sidewall than the 17 inches I have today (and circumference is only 2.9% more). So should be more comfortable, right, in soaking up the bumps?
    205/65/14 - sidewall + 45%, circumference +0.9% (but will this slot over the brakes?)
    Thoughts much appreciated!
    Walt

I would say go with the base 16 in wheel with 195 55 16 with a decent touring tire. The braking and handling with that has been tested and is safe. They will provide a big improvement in comfort from the 17 in rims with their stiffer sport tires. 15in rims should fit with a 185 65 15 tire. You do not say what model the car is and the 15 may not fit on the more powerful models as the front brakes are bigger
    Last edited by cyclone; 02-05-2016, 19:44.
    Originally posted by cyclone
    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
    Originally posted by Broda
    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

hi Cyclone,
      thank you for your response.
      The car is the 1.6 automatic, a 2013 DStyle model. So not really a performance car, nor would I expect upgraded breaks although the DS3 brochure suggests it has sports suspension?
      Will have a look on eBay.
      What would you say is 'a decent touring tire'?

Comment

Do bear in mind that the DS3 is always going to ride a little more firm than it's bigger brother C3. Granted changing the tire will give you a bit more "give" but it's the suspension that does the real work, so it might be worth getting a drive in a DS3 with the 16" wheels first before deciding.
        ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
        Bigfeet's File Repository
        The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

good idea, Bigfeet, will see if I can arrange something.

Comment

If it's a 2013 DStyle, the original wheels would have been 16" Asheras, surely (which is what mine has)?
            Shark grey / white Vti 120 DStyle ordered 2 March 2013, built 23 March 2013, collected 20 April 2013

Comment

yes I guess that the previous owner must have 'upgraded' them at some point in the past.

Comment

Working...
              X