Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eagle View Post
    Hi Czar..
    A little background info...After having my intercooler there was a lag between 3,200-3800 rpm..went back to my tuner to adjust it ..tuner installed a version 2 for 205-210bhp and also did some tweaks but this did not sort the lag problem so he suggested to have a smoke test to test for any leaks in the intercooler pipes..Went to mechanic with experience in tuned cars...smoke test did not showed any leaks..however the diagnostic tool showed an o2 sensor failure..he also checked the oil level and it was about half finger
    higher than normal so we remove the excess oil ..oil level left to just below max level.
    ...also I went for a racing catalyst as well to see if it will sort the lag and the oil level rise problem.
    after having the racing catalyst on I drove the car for a 150km trip
    the next afternoon I open the bonnet to check the oil level again *(using the dipstick)...Oil level was about 2 fingers higher than max and also the dipstick had a fuel smell
    My car has 18,000km only...never checked the high pressuer fuel pump...yes its the oem factory on
    Haven't done any compression test

My tuner is suspecting that the pcv valve has broke
    First let's concentrate on the oil level;

We all know the dipstick on the THP can and does give different oil level readings, especially when the engine has run, and the oil level checking guidelines are followed as per the manufacturer, it is not a dipstick design flaw, it is merely the location of the dipstick which passes through the right timing guide, the best procedure for checking the oil level on a THP engine, is when cold before the engine has run, on a flat level surface.

After any oil/filter change, even though you may pour in the stated required amount, as recommended by the manufacturer, when you check the oil level on the dipstick (engine cold) you may well be at the maximum mark, what you are forgetting is, the oil filter and valleys in the cylinder head will account for almost 0.75 litres of oil from your initial refill amount, hence why people get varying oil level readings, between hot engines, cold engines, and oil/filter changes. !!!

So Eagle, let's go back to basics first, drain all the oil preferably overnight and remove the oil filter, also, take your new oil filter and place it in a container deep enough, and pour your chosen new oil to fully submerge the oil filter, again leave overnight, the following day, the oil filter will be pre soaked, this will greatly help in giving a more accurate oil level reading, between your cold engine refill and the first oil level check after first initial start to prime the oil pump and filter, as your oil filter has already been primed !!!

Once you have done the above, monitor your engines oil level over a few days, by checking the oil level when the engine is cold (not hot) come back and give us the results, we will then take the matter further if your oil level is still increasing.
    Performance Powered By Thought
    Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post
      First let's concentrate on the oil level;

We all know the dipstick on the THP can and does give different oil level readings, especially when the engine has run, and the oil level checking guidelines are followed as per the manufacturer, it is not a dipstick design flaw, it is merely the location of the dipstick which passes through the right timing guide, the best procedure for checking the oil level on a THP engine, is when cold before the engine has run, on a flat level surface.

After any oil/filter change, even though you may pour in the stated required amount, as recommended by the manufacturer, when you check the oil level on the dipstick (engine cold) you may well be at the maximum mark, what you are forgetting is, the oil filter and valleys in the cylinder head will account for almost 0.75 litres of oil from your initial refill amount, hence why people get varying oil level readings, between hot engines, cold engines, and oil/filter changes. !!!

So Eagle, let's go back to basics first, drain all the oil preferably overnight and remove the oil filter, also, take your new oil filter and place it in a container deep enough, and pour your chosen new oil to fully submerge the oil filter, again leave overnight, the following day, the oil filter will be pre soaked, this will greatly help in giving a more accurate oil level reading, between your cold engine refill and the first oil level check after first initial start to prime the oil pump and filter, as your oil filter has already been primed !!!

Once you have done the above, monitor your engines oil level over a few days, by checking the oil level when the engine is cold (not hot) come back and give us the results, we will then take the matter further if your oil level is still increasing.
      Update:
      Czar big respect for your knowledge and expertise...Did everything you suggested...emptied the engine oil in a can and measured it...the oil was 3.6lt (with out oil filter) so you were right the oil dipstick was giving a false reading
      So I guess the fuel in oil assumption is not valid for my case
      Also after doing an emissions test it gave a high /on the limit Co2 value ,,I don't know if this is because of the bigger exhaust pipes and the racing cat ? but also with these high co2 values my car can pass MOT .
      I haven't changed the tuned ecu remap as I think it wasn't necessary to put the stock/factory program back on
      My only issue now is the lag in the mid rpms (between 3,000-3,800) I don't know if its due to the remap or the universal front mount intercooler with the longer boostpipes ?
      (boost pipe on the left side of the car were passed over the intercooler and then to the other side )

Comment

Working...
      X