Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HID kits (poor man's - or woman's - xenons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID kits (poor man's - or woman's - xenons)

I say poor man's with tongue in cheek as I have been looking on HIDS4U.co.uk and the dipped and high beam kits cost £84 each so not tuppenny ha'penny (or maybe they are...). However, I'm interested in this option as while the triple xenon units look nice I just want to be able to see better in the dark in the middle of nowhere. Does anyone have any experience with retrofitted HIDS? Any recommendations or warnings? Feedback greatly appreciated.
    "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

I fitted Osram Nightbreakers Jo and they are a world apart from the OEM bulbs. No kit needed - straight like for like swap and they light up the roads brilliantly. Might be worth a try? I'm really impressed with mine. Even the crappy sidelights give off a decent light now too.
    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

There is a lot of different kits out there so you want to make sure you get a decent one, the ones on that website look pretty decent and you'd have no problems. Heard so many stories of cheaper models made badly which end up burning up and setting the front of people's cars on fire, which is something you obviously don't want! Like I say though, ones on that website do look fine, just a matter of getting the type you want and installing them, probably the most difficult part would be finding somewhere to put the ballast as everything else just looks plug and play.

With all that being said, it may be worth trying out Funky's recommendation, I did the exact same, it was for my Mum's Mini Cooper, but one of her bulbs went so I got her some newer Philips White Xenon Effect bulbs and the difference a bulb makes is amazing, having replaced the bulb and switching the lights on to check and seeing them side by side was amazing, the oem bulb looked like a dim torch compared to the newer bulb so changed both and Mum was really happy and said they were much brighter when driving at night so maybe something worth looking into as well.

Comment

Thanks Funky and Berch - I take it there were no problems with fault codes with either of these options?

Comment

Originally posted by Jo67 View Post
          Thanks Funky and Berch - I take it there were no problems with fault codes with either of these options?
          Again with some of the cheaper models of the HID kits, they don't prevent fault codes, on the website your looking at, it looks like those kids are error free so you don't face any problems with fault codes or any bulb blown warnings. Same for using the different brighter bulbs, you wont face any error codes with those either. As long as it's the correct bulb.

Comment

No fault codes at all with the Nightbreakers, providing you get the right ones and the difference is incredible. A nice clean pure white light and they defo light up the road a hell of alot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Berch View Post
              Again with some of the cheaper models of the HID kits, they don't prevent fault codes, on the website your looking at, it looks like those kids are error free so you don't face any problems with fault codes or any bulb blown warnings. Same for using the different brighter bulbs, you wont face any error codes with those either. As long as it's the correct bulb.
              Thanks for that. Bulbs are a new area for me so I'm learning as I go. I liked the look of HIDS4U because they offer a 2 year no quibble guarantee, which I thought sounded good. Just had a look at the Nightbreakers and brightness appears to be improved by 110%, which is probably okay, but the HIDS4U ones say 400%, which sounds even better. Plenty of research required, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
                No fault codes at all with the Nightbreakers, providing you get the right ones and the difference is incredible. A nice clean pure white light and they defo light up the road a hell of a lot better.
                Sorry to be a pest. When you say the right ones - what do you mean exactly? I know they're H7 and H1 55W for example. A search on Ebay has brought up Plus and Unlimited versions. Is one more compatible than the other?

Comment

Sorry to be a pest. When you say the right ones - what do you mean exactly? I know they're H7 and H1 55W for example. A search on Ebay has brought up Plus and Unlimited versions. Is one more compatible than the other?
                  I used the night breaker laser which are the newer addition to the night breaker range and they are defiantly brighter than the plus and unlimited. Not to say the plus and unlimited are not good because they are as I have used both.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Comment

H7's are the ones you want. You can find the Nightbreakers here. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nightbreak...kAAOSwcUBYEbOO

EDIT: These are the newer laser ones mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeandsazzle View Post
                      I used the night breaker laser which are the newer addition to the night breaker range and they are defiantly brighter than the plus and unlimited. Not to say the plus and unlimited are not good because they are as I have used both.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
                      Yep all the above are very good. I have unlimiteds and the laser are the newer next version up. Happy shopping

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks to you all for your help. I feel some Lasers coming on. Go bright or go home, I say.

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks to you all for your help. I feel some Lasers coming on. Go bright or go home, I say.
                          Very nice, best of luck and definitely post up some pictures once you've got some fitted!

Comment

Originally posted by Berch View Post
                            Very nice, best of luck and definitely post up some pictures once you've got some fitted!
                            Thanks. Will do.

Comment

You will like them Jo. Such an easy thing to do, yet makes a world of difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X