Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Drone

Hi Folks,

Installed the new exhaust, which is from a local company, Walkinshaw. Mostly very happy with the sound, at idle it is just a touch louder than stock and at WOT it is a nice roar without being obnoxious. But getting a pretty noticeable and irritating drone right around 1900-2500 rpm, which given where one usually drives under normal circumstances, is a bit annoying.

I know probably no one has this exact exhaust, but wondering if anyone else has experienced drone and if so what was the fix for you? Given that the engine is the same and total exhaust length will be the same, hoping someone might have some insights to this.

The system is a 2.5" cat back with a large centre resonator and a high flow rear muffler and splits to two 2.5" (or maybe it's 3"?) tips.

I'll try get in touch with the manufacturer on Monday and see what they say too.

Cheers, Tim

They have to modify the insulation of your exhaust to remove the drone. Nothing you can do by yourself.
    Citroën DS³ // THP 155 // Body Ruby Red // Roof Moondust
    DS³R Speedometer // 19" OEM Cairns // KW V3 Coilovers

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure it will be a case of taking it to an exhaust shop if anything needs doing, just thought I would see if others had had a similar problem and the solution.

Have been reading about J pipes, which might be a good idea, but more research to do...
      Last edited by tch; 06-05-2017, 13:02.

Comment

So, in case anyone was wondering, seems that either I've rapidly gotten used to it, or the drone basically gone having put 250km on the new exhaust. My mum didn't complain about the exhaust when she borrowed the car the other day... but I'm not sure that's a good sign.

Comment

Maybe it was a placebo - you knew you had a new exhaust so you were paying more attention to it and noticed sounds you normally ignored?

Or maybe the flanges have now got coated with soot from the inside and road muck from the outside, dampening the vibrations in the joins?

I hope it's sufficiently noisy when you put your foot down though
          ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
          Join the Facebook Group!
          Join the Discord Server!

Comment

To be honest, I reckon its a mix of placebo, the exhaust settling in, and having a bit of a cold with blocked sinuses so the ears were a bit off.

Don't worry, it's plenty noisy when giving it a bit!

Comment

Working...
            X