Aluminium in the cabin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium in the cabin?

Can anyone tell me what the aluminium looking bit surrounding the gearstick actually is? Is it real metal or some sort of plated plastic? It looks like it has a coated, anodised finish.

I ask because I’m thinking a putting some self-adhesive Velcro on it to support the DAB digital radio I have, and the glue on this Velcro is quite powerful. Currently I am using Blu-Tak.

It's plated plastic as you guessed.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

Originally posted by Déesse trois View Post
      Can anyone tell me what the aluminium looking bit surrounding the gearstick actually is? Is it real metal or some sort of plated plastic? It looks like it has a coated, anodised finish.

I ask because I’m thinking a putting some self-adhesive Velcro on it to support the DAB digital radio I have, and the glue on this Velcro is quite powerful. Currently I am using Blu-Tak.
      A magnet is often useful

Jimbob

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
        A magnet is often useful

Jimbob
        Not on ally it's not.

Strong adhesive a no-no then? Don't want to pull the alumnium plating off!

Comment

Blu/white tac?
          cyclone> Fish is the man

Comment

Can't you get a little plastic clamp or something, and glue it to the clamp rather than the car

Comment

Originally posted by Déesse trois View Post
              Not on ally it's not.

Strong adhesive a no-no then? Don't want to pull the alumnium plating off!
              I have a normal magnet for mild steel and a special magnet for aluminium.

Jimbob

Comment

Industrial Strength Adhesive

Comment

OK in my book this comes under Aluminium in the cabin.. my DS sport has ally pedals but no ally footrest as seen in many photos. I guess this is an extra as I have seen them on ebay. Question is how do they fit ? method of. i guess a nail would do but not very pretty. In the experience of you longstanding members is this the sort of thing a dealer would have in his stores. Question for Bigfoot76 I reckon.

Comment

The footrest screws in I believe:

Originally posted by Richardhycott View Post
                    It's fitted by the same type of allen style bolts that fit the alloy pedals. I guess beneth the carpet there must be pre drilled holes for the bolts to locate into. Four bolts in total 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I would have thought it straightforward to fit yourself.
                    That is extracted from : This thread Where there os more info that my help?
                    My DS3R3... nearly....
                    New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Theres a big thread about the ally footrest which you can find here - http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...light=footrest

The part is a dealer accessory and is easy to fit, just a couple of screws and your done. Some folks have mentioned that the plate does not fully fit the footrest block on the floor and required a little bit of 'jiggling' to get it to seat correctly. If your after one then I would suggest giving John Nicol a PM for a price.
                      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
                      Bigfeet's File Repository
                      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

The footrest screws in. It comes with a paper template and instructions, unfortunately the template is for lefthand drive cars. Should be easy to do though, I will be fitting mine later when I can get hold of the right size Torx bit.
                        DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

That was interesting reading including the links. I think I will delay for a while give it some thought. I am sure I could fabricate one have got plenty of ally. anyway I will be a long while wearing out the carpet. Or cut a mini piece of carpet edge it in an appropriate colour some silicon for adhesive and Bobs your Uncle.

Comment

Took less than 10 minutes to fit once I'd charged my drill and found a T20 torx bit. Fits ok and looks good I think, certainly finishes the footwell off.

DS3 Racing, also available in White!!!

Comment

yep thats just how mine arrived straight from my dealer

Comment

Working...
                              X