DS3 1.6 eHDI 92 BHP turbo upgrade - MHI TD02 to Garrett GTD1244VZ VNT turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 1.6 eHDI 92 BHP turbo upgrade - MHI TD02 to Garrett GTD1244VZ VNT turbo

Whilst typing up a guide for a turbo upgrade on my DS3 I thought it would be good to post up my progress so far. It's relatively easy to do and much cheaper than a hybrid turbo.

The 1.6 8V HDI engine is fitted to vehicles after 2010 and comes with three different power options. There are 75 BHP and 92 BHP models which both use the same injectors, turbo and ECU. These come fitted with a Bosch EDC17C10 ECU and a Mitsubishi TD02 waste gated turbo charger. The 75 BHP model generally only comes in the Partner and Berlingo vans.
    There is also a 115 BHP version which uses a Siemens SID807 ECU, Siemens injectors and a Garrett GTD1244VZ VNT turbo charger.
    In the UK all of the 1.6 8V engines I have seen come fitted with a DPF with a lambda sensor, differential pressure sensor and temperature sensors.
    As the engine is the same it’s easy to upgrade the turbo on the 92 BHP model to use the turbo from the 115 BHP model. The exhaust manifold is the same, and everything else is ‘almost’ the same so it’s relatively easy to do.
    Here’s a photo showing a comparison of the two turbos, the Garrett VNT turbo (right) is clearly a lot bigger, but thanks to the VNT system it still spools relatively early and can give good top end figures.

The position of the oil drain and the oil feed is the same, so it’s quite an easy conversion.
    The first step of the conversion is to remove the heat shields around the turbo and the DPF, you’ll also need to remove the DPF and get a straight through pipe made. All the unwanted sensors in the exhaust can be written out in a remap.

Remove the intake pipe which is held on with a 10mm bolt, and also the turbo outlet to intercooler pipe which has two 10mm bolts and the jubilee clip uses a 7mm socket..

The exhaust clamp uses a 16mm nut at the bottom and then you ccan use a tool as shown above to remove the v band clamp.

Loosen the allen head bolt which is used for the turbo oil feed.

The next step is to loosen the 4 11mm nuts holding the turbo to the manifold. If these are tight you might want to join two spanners together to get some extra leverage.

With the four nuts off you can slide the turbo outwards and then you’ll be able to easily see the turbo oil drain. Loosen the 7mm nut on the jubilee clamp and then pop the hose off. The turbo will now come out.

Before you refit the turbo you will need the correct oil pipe (part number 63846), as shown here the pipe for the GTD1244VZ is completely different. I would also recommend fitting new banjo bolts. Don’t remove the strainer from the lower bolt, it’s a filter and also an oil restrictor, removing it will cause future problems.

Refitting the new turbo is exactly the opposite of removing the old turbo. It doesn’t hurt to put some oil in the turbo so it doesn’t start up dry.

When you come to connect the plug to the turbo actuator position sensor you will find that it has been designed to prevent you from connecting it to the wrong turbo. To get the extra length on the wire you simply need to remove the 90 degree collar that is clipped on to the wire.

The intake pipe is also designed in a way that you can’t accidentally fit the wrong turbo. With a hack saw or a cutting disc you just need to remove a small piece of plastic to allow the pipe to clamp down flat to the turbo inlet.

​​
    Once the new turbo is refitted it will look quite standard.
    As the intake pipe is slightly too short I chose to hold both ends with jubilee clamps so that it couldn’t fall off. The standard setup just clips on without and clamps.
    I chose to put some heat wrap around the turbo outlet pipe so that it wouldn’t absorb hear from the turbine side of the turbo. If you do this you want the shiny side facing out to reflect heat. If you wrap the turbo you want the shiny side inwards to keep heat inside.

And now the hard part begins. You’re going to have some faults when you start up as the turbo position sensor uses a different calibration and that will be picked up by the ECU. You can’t really use or drive the car until the turbo has been set up properly to avoid damaging it.

The remapping is very complex to get this turbo to work nicely on this ECU. On my project car it took almost 150 different remaps with different tweaks and different experiments to get it running perfectly. The turbo spools very early (before 1750 RPM) and gives great low down torque and also lots of high end power. The standard TD02 turbo does drive nicely in the low revs but it really runs out of puff quickly. With this turbo upgrade it makes a big difference to driveability.

The next plans in store are potentially an intercooler upgrade, I've found that on the road the intake temperature isn't far above ambient, but on the dyno the intercooler heats up quickly. I think this is mainly due to not enough air flow to direct air over the intercooler which is positioned to the side.

I'll try to get dyno result with the standard intercooler and the uprated intercooler to see the difference it makes.

Last edited by HDI-Tuning; 24-08-2017, 15:25.

Nice write up!!
    White on red THP
    Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for the guide and all the pictures! Makes a big difference to techy posts!
      My DS3R3... nearly....
      New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm always doing jobs like this that would make a good write up but once I'm stuck in and covered in oil I usually forget to stop and take a few pictures. I'll try to do a write up for a cheap intercooler upgrade too, I've got a spare one I can use, just needs some brackets made.

Comment

Much smoke with the dpf delete?

Comment

No, it depends entirely on how you set it up and how much fuel you put in.

Comment

Looks good, looking forward to seeing the results!

Comment

I got this on the dyno with the standard intercooler, intake temperatures got to 60 degree by 3750RPM and power started to drop off as the temperature shot up. We stopped the test as the power curve was dropping off. The initial results were 330Nm but only 134 BHP.

Next I decided to get a bigger intercooler on there. You can do this quite cheap without needing to spend £600 on an over priced kit.

First you need to get the bumper off. Take the engine cover and the wheel arch liners off, and then you need to loosen the two 10mm bolts at the side of the bumper.
                You come at these from beneath.

Once you have the first 10mm bolt completely out it allows you to bend the bumper enough to get a ratchet spanner on to the second bolt.

Now you can undo the bolt most of the way until you can unclip the bumper. Be careful not to scratch it. It's easier to leave this one on for when you come to refit.
                This is what the mechanism looks like.

Once the bumper is out of the way you need to unbolt the front beam and the rad housing to give you enough room to squeeze the old intercooler out of there. Here's a comparison of the original versus the upgraded cooler I chose to use. The intercooler is almost double as big, but will benefit from a much better location behind the grill on the bumper.

Comment

The next job was place the intercooler and check the bumper would actually fit back on. It did this without any modifications which is really nice.
                  Now I tacked up a bracket which mounted to the same bolt holes as the lights.

Once i re-checked the bumper would fit I took the bracket off and welded it properly and gave it a lick of hammerite paint.
                  I also gave the intercooler a clean up, this was one I took off my other car which I upgraded to a much bigger one.

Next, you can make the pipes up. Here I used a mix of things I already had in stock and some new parts.
                  This is what I used (obviously this depends on the size of your intercooler inlets):
                  2 x 48<57mm 45 bend
                  1 x 57<63mm 90 degree short radius
                  1 x 57<63mm 90 degree long radius
                  1 x 57mm 45 degree short radius
                  1 x 57mm 45 degree alloy joiner 100mm leg length (wasn't long enough)
                  3 x 57mm alloy swaged joiners
                  1 x 57mm silicone join to lengthen the alloy bend.

Once the pipes are on this is how it looks from the top.

And heres the final build before I put the bumper back on.

Comment

Once the intercooler was on I found I had a bit more air flow to deal with thanks to the cooler charge so I added in roughly another 7 BHP and kept the maximum torque the same so I wouldn't need to upgrade the clutch.
                    The power came out at 141 BHP and 318 Nm which I was very happy with.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12483.jpg
Views:	5135
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	393944 Here's another I did on a 208 1.6 HDI and this one came out at 148 BHP and 348 Nm. I think the dyno was reading a tad high on this one, but still a very impressive results!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve,

It's great to see you on here.

I've only had my 90 e-HDI a week so far but I'll be coming to you for a stage one map soon.

The one you did for my 306 runs great, I've done 347k miles in that car now and around 150k miles of that was with your map.

I'm still not sure whether to stick with the DS3 as I miss the feed back from the road I get with my 306.but I guess most modern cars are like this know.

Comment

What spec level is yours and which size wheels? Mine is on 17's with Michelin pilot sport 4s. I think it handles really nicely! Much sharper than the old 306s

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting back, for some reason I didn't get a notification of your reply.

I've only just found out that mine is an 8 valver

I wrongly thought all 1.6 HDI's were 16.

I mine has the 17" Bellones and are wrapped in the Michelin pilot sport 3, but are almost in need of replacing.

The trim level is Dstyle plus but I'm now thinking I might sell it on and upgrade to the Dsport plus.

The bolsters in seats are too soft for my liking in the Dstyle and it's not worth me changing the seat in this car.

I drove my 306 to work today after a week of driving the DS3 and I was very surprised at how soft the 306 felt. The gear changes felt so nice in the 306 though. I'm thinking the DS3 cables or pivot box thing might need lubricating to help feel better.

I'm thinking of blanking the EGR valve but looking at the unit on the service box there is a sensor in the unit. So I'm thinking if I put the blank in between the unit and pipe not the unit and engine block I might not get a EML come up.

Comment

It is worth changing the seats, you can pick up DSport interiors or sometimes just the front seats off eBay for a reasonable price. I went one step further in mine and got the 207 GTi seats, but they are much rarer and the price reflects that.
                              ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                              Join the Facebook Group!
                              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Working...
                              X