Diamond cut ....the devil in disguise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond cut ....the devil in disguise

Been looking at the posts on diamond cut alloys – seems they can be troublesome to say the least.

In all of the post sI haven’t noticed any action that can be taken to stop corrosion – applying a alloy wheel dressings such as http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...l-sealant-2017
    for example

Any advice?

George

Would work fine until moisture gets under the seal (the spray has to end somewhere unless you take the tyres off, but then you'd probably scratch it off putting the tyres back on), then you've got trapped water under the sealant just like it does with the lacquer on the wheels, then hello white spots.

Best preventative action is to get them powder coated, but this then removes the diamond cut effect unless you go fancy and get a two color finish.
    ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
    Join the Facebook Group!
    Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I just scrapped the idea of the diamond cutting on mine and went for a full respray.
      So expensive to fix and the shop I spoke to reccomend against it, I was pretty chuffed with the result (pic attached).

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

DStort
      DSport interior | 130bhp Chipped | Powerflow Exhaust

Comment

I had the Bellones on my 2011 DS3 from the start (I got it at 1 years old) and 5 years later no corrosion in any of the wheels. Of course I only had them during the summer as we are required to have winter tyres between December and February. Apart from the first year that I didn't have the car I washed and waxed the wheels every spring which must have had some effect.

Comment

Mine are terrible, even tho they are of the car, the corrosion gets worse by the second...

Comment

I was hoping by now they would of sorted it. Diamond cuts aren't rare and there are similar on a number of makes. Or is it just on the ds's there is a problem

Comment

I think it's a problem with any diamond cut wheel - where there is less protection, i.e. just bare metal and lacquer rather than paint or galvanised finish and lacquer, any small scratch allows water in under the lacquer and gets trapped causing the corrosion.
              ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
              Join the Facebook Group!
              Join the Discord Server!

Comment

The springs on the centre caps don't help either, they need to be strong to hold them in place but most corrosion I've seen on these wheels seems to have parts around where the caps push into the wheels
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X