Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel 1.6 (110)with bad fuel consumption

Hi guys.

I brought this car for the main reason of fuel consumption. I’ve gone from a 1.9 tdi pd130 bora, to the ds3 1.6 e-hdi 1.6 110. Now, you don’t need to be an expert to realise that 74 mpg is a bit ambitious but I was hoping to be getting at least 65mpg though... However, I’m only getting 56 mpg per tank and that’s a struggle. I do 30 miles each way to work daily and 22 of those miles are motorway and the rest is mainly dual carriageway. I’m easy on the throttle and I’m sticking to about 65mph to try and get the return higher, but nothing I do is working! The car has done 40k miles and it’s a 12 reg. Is there anything I can do to improve the consumption? Carbon clean? Something I can buy to help?

I get between 50 and 60mpg and that's depends on how I drive. So I think 56mpg is about right. I've only ever got over 60 once as a test and that was coz I was driving like there were 50 unwrapped glasses on each seat. I think your expectations may've been a little high tbh, but I have found using a premium diesel from a Shell or BP garage does improve performance, smoothness and ultimately mpg, but obviously there is the added cost if you normally use supermarket sludge. I usually alternate each tank full between premium and standard as the premium is better quality and has better cleaning agents. Seems to work for me, but I don't get 65mpg and I do a good mix of urban and motorway miles.

There is an "engine clean" for diesels called Terraclean, but unless you drive a 20 year old diesel, I wouldn't bother, as it does exactly squat!!!
    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

My petrol VTi is apparently "52mpg" but I get about 37-39. Claimed figures are always wildly different from actual figures.
      ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
      Join the Facebook Group!
      Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Hey,

i own the DS3 with the 1.6l BlueHDI120, in summer i do 49 mpg, in winter i do 42 mpg.
        So i think 56mpg isnt that bad.

Comment

I’ve never had figures this far out though. Almost 20mpg off of the estimated! That’s ridiculous.

Comment

I get 54-56 on my 1.6hdi 115 so you're in about the right range.

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
              I’ve never had figures this far out though. Almost 20mpg off of the estimated! That’s ridiculous.
              The figures that are "estimated" are done in perfect "lab" driving conditions, on a almost empty tank and when the car and engine was brand new, but you will already know this.... right?

You can't honestly expect yours to do this mpg on the crappy UK roads, with the differing weather conditions we have. Your DS3 is 5 years old and there is no way an engine of that age and 40K miles in, no matter how well its been looked after, will do the what the book says is possible when brand new (which we all know it never will be anyway).

I think 50-60 is pretty good IMO, so I'm just wondering if maybe you had slightly unrealistic expectations before buying it. I wouldn'tve thought anyone driving a diesel would "struggle" with 56mpg. How close was your Bora to the "expected" mpg figures?
              Last edited by Funky; 20-01-2018, 23:02.
              DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

With regards to improving the MPG seen, use cruise control as much as possible.

Also your DPF could be due a regen cycle that isn't kicking in. Give it a good blast at high revs for 5-10 minutes on the motorway to heat it up well, and it should kick in. Once regenerated it should improve fuel efficiency again.
                ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
                Join the Facebook Group!
                Join the Discord Server!

Comment

I get around 35 mpg, count yourself lucky.
                  - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                  - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Hi, might be related...
                    I have been getting 68-74mpg the last few months; however, my last tank of fuel returned just 58mpg while still driving economically. Avg is 56mpg when driving fast-ish (90% motorway driving).
                    i've read the fault codes on my car and its flagged P0266 - cylinder 2 not accelerating as expected. I.e, injector is not working as it should/maybe blocking.
                    A common effect of this problem is poor mpg and performance. Maybe your car has the same or similar problem. This error does not flag the check engine light on tbis car (in my case).

my car is the DS3 EHDI 110 (2012).

Comment

Originally posted by Funky

I think 50-60 is pretty good IMO, so I'm just wondering if maybe you had slightly unrealistic expectations before buying it. I wouldn'tve thought anyone driving a diesel would "struggle" with 56mpg. How close was your Bora to the "expected" mpg figures?
                      My bora was almost bang on with the estimate at 49-51 mpg and it’s estimated was 51.4. I also had a 1.6 hdi (90bhp) Peugeot 207 before that and I was returning 62-65mpg almost all the time which was actually better than estimated.
                      This is the first time I’ve seen a car 25% out (roughly?) on an estimate? That’s more like a guess.
                      Yes, I do realise that the estimates are done in an unrealistic environment. But I will be looking into what ‘madman’ mentioned with regards to engine codes.

Comment

I get about 51-52 in my 63 plate E-hdi. It's the way I drive I think the car tends to like longer trips I don't use much more fuel if I travel double the millage to work. Weird but just the way it's been.

Currently got a courtesy 1.6 diesel astra elite and I am doing 52mpg in that too. So it's about right for a 1.6 diesel

A remap is on my list might get more that way cos tbh the stock map has lots of flat spots

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Had my 120 HDi for about a month and averaged 49 mpg so far.Reflects some enthusiastic driving whilst the novelty of such a fun machine beds down (swapped out from a V reg Nissan Micra 1.0 CVT). I suspect that the official figures also include Stop/Start (new to DS3's so not sure about specs yet - does yours have that?) behaving impeccably but certainly mine seems a little reluctant to kick in during the sort of journeys I undertake (Stop/Start is discussed in other threads!).

Comment

Working...
                          X