Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Hifi Sub upgrade

Hi All,

I hope I am in the right section If I am not please do direct me to the right one.

I have a 2014 dsport DS3 I want to upgrade the subwoofer but instead of adding a sub box and taking precious boot space away I would like to do a stealth install and exchange the stock subwoofer in the back .I was hoping I can Change just the speaker and use the onboard amp to get something nice . Was wondering if anyone has attempted something along the lines and maybe know the power of the amp Inside . When weather clears up I will be taking the box apart myself so will post some updates of what I Find and some pictures if you guys are interested.

Some update so far : Took the sub box out and looked into what I could there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that everything is so standard that replacing that speaker should be easier than a door speaker . No rivets only screws , the connections are standard as well no proprietary connections just standard crimp fixings ( can attach photos if anyone wants) And the speaker is well as expected paper cone which started to crack ever so slightly so putting almost anything in would be an upgrade as long as it fits. The dimensions I got is 16.5cm(might be 17cm did not have good measuring tool at hand) size and up to 3.9 inch deep .Will check online what fits these dimensions

The bad news is there is no information on either speaker or the Amp for rated power output so what this would output is just a wild guess .

Anyone with any ideas how to test the power would be of great help.

Comment

Sorry I can't be of any use on this, but interesting to follow this. If you ever find more please keep us updated

Comment

I would be surprised if the amp is much more than 20wrms maximum.. the cable, the size, the heat it puts out suggest very low power. The speaker is in all reality, crap.. but even if you look out for another decent 6.5in speaker that is designed for frequencies below 250Hz, you have the 3 hole grille shape to deal with as most speakers have four holes and there is no logic to Citroen making this speaker the shape that it is.. at 6.5in, don't expect mega bass output or mega low bass because that is not how the science works.. but if you change the speaker for another decent purpose-built 4ohm speaker, then at least the distortion levels will be lower with that built-in amp... Inside the box is plastic, it has no acoustic filling and at the end of the day, it is a compromise and it will never replace a decent sub in a decent box with a half decent amp.. personally I would suggest that you do what I did - DITCH IT, it is more gimmick than functional... and of course I am bias as I come from a loudspeaker design background..

Comment

Working...
        X