Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install side door chrome? Have to screw doors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd, well the only thing I can suggest is either send them back and order new ones from John Nicol (user search will find him) or cut off the plastic lugs with an hacksaw.

The lugs kind of look like mould supports or something.
    ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
    Bigfeet's File Repository
    The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

The models after november '11 have those pins in the door/strips.

Comment

Originally posted by Mace View Post
        The models after november '11 have those pins in the door/strips.
        Well done sir!

Had a look again and used VIN codes for Model year 11 and 15 and yes there are now pre-drilled holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfeet76 View Post

Had a look again and used VIN codes for Model year 11 and 15 and yes there are now pre-drilled holes.
          So presumably all cars now come with the chrome trims?

Comment

As part of the changes to Model year 15 all models, expect DSign, come with the chrome side.

Comment

Pre-drilled holes = a backward step imho. It's just an open invitation for rust to take hold in due course.

(and before anyone says it, galvanised panels can still rust, especially where the coating is damaged, eg, by some muppet drilling holes to fit a piece of trim !)
              Last edited by gar074; 29-02-2012, 15:44.

Comment

As part of the changes to Model year 15 all models, expect DSign, come with the chrome side.
                Hmm...

So now they have two different types of door, one with locating holes, one without. Don't tell the cost accountants!

Comment

I dare say that the poor French bloke who's job it was to stick the chrome on the Sport models complained to his union!!

Comment

I dare say that the poor French bloke who's job it was to stick the chrome on the Sport models complained to his union!!
                    Too p*ssed on cheap vin de pays to stick 'em on straight, more like.

(He certainly was when he built mine...)

Comment

This makes sense, easier and quicker to fit accurately on the Citroen trim line, no doubt they now produce door skins (and rear quarter panels) with and without holes, it is just a matter of pulling two punches from the die to produce a batch without holes.

Comment

Very true, the chrome was most likely added by hand with the earlier model years and now it's standard across most of the range you will find that a robot has been re tasked for this job now.

Comment

Recommendation needed

Sorry for digging out such an old thread, but I'm exactly in the same situation as OP. Ordered that kit thinking it was just taped and then found these pins that should fit into holes apparently not there :mad:
                          I guess your recommendation would be just cutting them off? For sure I'm feeling uncomfortable about drilling holes in the body, let alone these might rust after a while :-(
                          But on the other hand, fitting instructions are from 2009 and definitely don't include the pins, so Citroën must have made that change for a reason.
                          So anyone ever heard of chrome strips falling off?

Comment

Originally posted by Huendli View Post
                            Sorry for digging out such an old thread, but I'm exactly in the same situation as OP. Ordered that kit thinking it was just taped and then found these pins that should fit into holes apparently not there :mad:
                            I guess your recommendation would be just cutting them off? For sure I'm feeling uncomfortable about drilling holes in the body, let alone these might rust after a while :-(
                            But on the other hand, fitting instructions are from 2009 and definitely don't include the pins, so Citroën must have made that change for a reason.
                            So anyone ever heard of chrome strips falling off?
                            I would suggest if there are holes then you should drill and use some kind of lacquer to prevent rusting (You won't see it under the chrome anyway) or if you're feeling lucky file down the pins and use some adhesive.
                            Never done it myself, but that's my suggestion :P
                            DStort
                            DSport interior | 130bhp Chipped | Powerflow Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Huendli View Post
                              The change was made to ease production & reduce cost. Initially not all cars had the baguettes, so they would have used some kind of locating tooling to position them accurately. When they started fitting them to all cars it was cheaper, quicker & posed less of a risk of mislocation to add spigots to the trim & corresponding holes in the panels.

Comment

I would cut the pins off.
                                Originally posted by cyclone
                                It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                                Originally posted by Broda
                                I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                                X