Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering my car....

Is it a straight forward DIY job?

Or something you should pay to be done....?
    sigpic.

| DStyle Nav 1.2 PureTech 110 |
    Third time around.
    Work in Progress

Get someone else to do it - You're useless in life's most basic of tasks...

How are you proposing to lower it ? Lowering springs ? Coilovers ? Air Ride ? Hydros ?...

Comment

Dunno, would depend if it is a DIY jobby.

But would most likely be springs or coilovers.

As long as it stops my car feeling like a boat on the corners.
      Last edited by Rickzayne; 27-04-2013, 16:34.
      sigpic.

Third time around.
      Work in Progress

Comment

How are you with tools? Have you changed McPherson struts before? If not someone to help or go to for help that has. Do you have a place to do it. Set of hand tools, jack stands, spring compressor, torque wrenches, time. The back is easy peasy front takes all the time and is straight forwards but could kill you literally if mess up with the spring compressor.
        Originally posted by cyclone
        It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
        Originally posted by Broda
        I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

I have everything other that the spring compressor =[

To the garage it is then -.-

coils or springs?
          sigpic.

Third time around.
          Work in Progress

Comment

spring compressors do not cost much.

What are your priorities springs ride height you get what you get but will be more comfortable and cheaper than coil overs.
            Coil overs will have better handling and adjustable ride height to get it just where you want it but a much harsher ride
            For the price of springs and a garage doing the job you could do it yourself and afford coils.

Comment

hmm....

Well I want a more solid ride as I think it rocks about to much.... So I guess it would have to be coils
              sigpic.

Third time around.
              Work in Progress

Comment

any 1 comment on wether springs are more comfortable then stock ? I find ride quite hard in mine at stock , unless its all the potholes round here

Comment

Originally posted by mattds3sport View Post
                  any 1 comment on wether springs are more comfortable then stock ? I find ride quite hard in mine at stock , unless its all the potholes round here
                  I find stock springs don't do much for potholes but generally it is quite smooth and rolly on the motorways... Can't imagine having shorter springs would change much apart from reduce the travel it has... Only guessing though..
                  sigpic.

Third time around.
                  Work in Progress

Comment

Nothings more comfortable than standard but coilovers are like rock hard, every bump will hurt and youll get annoyed so often when on a bad surface, springs are what you want, keeps it comfyish and has the styling affect!

Comment

Originally posted by RhysieG View Post
                      Nothings more comfortable than standard but coilovers are like rock hard, every bump will hurt and youll get annoyed so often when on a bad surface, springs are what you want, keeps it comfyish and has the styling affect!
                      Does it help reduce the rolling feeling on motorways and on corners?
                      sigpic.

Third time around.
                      Work in Progress

Comment

Depends on how compressed the springs are and what make they are tbh...

Comment

The KW's are not "rock hard" but they are very sporty. Take into consideration the state of the roads around you. Mine are well kept and fairly smooth so quite happy but when went to France driving on the 1 lane backroads absolutely sucked. Coilovers definitely take the roll out on the autobahn. Ask Zack about how his bilstein's are. Personally think Bilstein's run a little more comfortable than the KW's. All that said a quality set of lowering springs should make the car roll a little less also but not to the degree of coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post
                            the kw's are not "rock hard" but they are very sporty. Take into consideration the state of the roads around you. Mine are well kept and fairly smooth so quite happy but when went to france driving on the 1 lane backroads absolutely sucked. Coilovers definitely take the roll out on the autobahn. Ask zack about how his bilstein's are. Personally think bilstein's run a little more comfortable than the kw's. All that said a quality set of lowering springs should make the car roll a little less also but not to the degree of coilovers.
                            agree!

Comment

Bilsteins are really comfy and I've forgotten about the roll around sharp corners at speed because now there isn't any xD

Comment

Working...
                              X