Are HID's Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are HID's Worth it?

I've been reading through the older posts about HID's as i'm pretty keen on getting some, what with living down lanes and 9 months of the year driving to and from work in the dark they'd be darn helpful. (We'll skip the legality of it as we all know it wouldn't be road legal.)
    The older posts said that they made the radios crackle but was this due to cheap kits bought off eBay? (I'm thinking of getting a HID direct canbus ultra kit H7R 4300k. http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/h7r-35w...nversion-kits/ )

Does anyone who has installed HID's have bad glare? As despite wanting the best for myself i don't actually want to blind other people.
    Thanks in Advance to any replies. :cool:

best bulbs i have had in my cars i run mine all the time as to and from the farm i am always driving in the dark. highly recommended i went for the 6000k, personal preference Andy

Comment

:P Any recommendations kit wise?
      Last edited by DanDS3; 16-05-2013, 12:48.

Comment

get h7r bulbs and don't get the cheap plastic bulbs!

The key with the h7r bulbs is to try and get the orb of the HID to sit exactly where the filament would to try and minimise glare. Alot of the cheap bulbs have a plastic base with the capsule glued on which means they are rarely 100% straight and as such give weird glare.

These are the brand I went for, but i got 6000k... In hindsight 4300 or 5000 would have been better (doesn't include ballast)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7R-4300K-...item3f1f881658

You'll never get a sharp cut off due to the way the HID emits light. You could get the orb to be in the same position as the filament would but as the orb has two hot spots (at each end) you'll always get a blurry cut off.

Pros: Cut off isn't bad, light emitted is brighter than halogen and whiter
        cons: The beam pattern is never perfect and you won't have an even spread of light below the cut off point. Although there will be more light, hot spots can occur which will be distracting when driving and remove focus from rest of the beam pattern

Comment

Oooohh, thanks very much. Most helpful!

Comment

6000k looks crap on h7r...
            I had them, you expect it to be more white but, its just not...

i have 8000k h7r fogs and front headlights, police have been fine with them and ive never been stopped, plus the blue tinge is a hell of alot better!

Comment

TBH, I'm fed up of being blinded by people with their after-fit headlights. The problem is that you can't tell whether you're blinding other people unless you're the poor sod coming the other way. There's a good reason why this type of installation is illegal.

Comment

Only get blinded if its the wrong type of bulb..........
                And wont be blinded if adjusted correctly......

Comment

Will they melt or frost up the plastic head light? Frost as melting is and small bubbles on the glass or plastic

Comment

Originally posted by Sigorman85 View Post
                    Will they melt or frost up the plastic head light? Frost as melting is and small bubbles on the glass or plastic
                    never had any problems!!

Comment

Accept the m.o.t???

Comment

Accept the m.o.t???
                        not had one yet

Comment

I had HID's in my C1 and they did nothing other than light up everything else but the road.

Comment

I here that cars built after 2008 will fail a Mot if they have them???

Comment

I here that cars built after 2008 will fail a Mot if they have them???
                              take them out and put them back in, SIMPLES!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X