Blow off valve spring PSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow off valve spring PSI

OK, I have been looking at uprated springs for BOV, now my question is the springs are set for different PSI.....
    How can I find out what I need?
    I have now got my uprated BOV (06F 145 710 G) but cant work out what spring would be best or stick with the OEM spring.
    Any views and thoughts please
    DS3 1.6THP DSport with a few bits added.....nickname BB :bow:
    Performance...Depends on how heavy my right foot is

Is Jamie not sorting u out Gaz? If you look at Jamie's build post, he says %25 stronger, which would tally with %25 increase in boost
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
      Is Jamie not sorting u out Gaz? If you look at Jamie's build post, he says %25 stronger, which would tally with %25 increase in boost
      he is getting some springs made but trying to figure out the PSI thing

Comment

All to do with boost pressure increase
        On the catch can bit, myself, still. Lol

Stronger spring - you will notice the lag if you need one
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Changing the spring in the bypass valve will not give any more boost. The amount of boost is regulated by the waste gate which when open lets the exhaust bypass the turbo so it can only produce so many PSI. If your stock recirculation valve was leaking because it was unable to hold closed under the increased psi of a mapped engine then it would give you back the pressure that you are loosing. The stronger spring would also close the valve quicker keeping more boost pressure and allowing you to start building pressure sooner after the valve closes.
          Did not say that well but then I am not good at explaining things.
          Originally posted by cyclone
          It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
          Originally posted by Broda
          I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Clear for me, thanks cyclone
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds good Cyclone. What I meant was if your turbo is boosted by %25, then the spring needs to be %25 stronger- to slam the door so to speak.
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Sounds good Cyclone. What I meant was if your turbo is boosted by %25, then the spring needs to be %25 stronger- to slam the door so to speak.
                If you installed bath taps with a 25% higher flow rate and a plug hole 25% bigger, would the bath fill and empty proportionately quicker.

Comment

U guys don't understand how these recirc's work.
                  If you've ever handled one of these springs you'll already know that they're not very strong, certainly not strong enough to hold back 1000 mbar of boost(1350mbar in my case). Even the uprated spring is not much stronger than of that in a Biro.
                  So....how does it hold back the pressure???? Can anyone work it out???
                  Look to the picture below at the plungers design and you might be able to work it out

I'm beginning to sound like Czar lol

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                  Facebook.com/SPTuning.Ltd
                  White on red THP
                  Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Count me out as I'm learning all the time.
                    Wild guess- A piston inside pushing out?
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

Comment

high pressure on top of the plunger, creates a low pressure area on the underside of the plunger resulting in lift, like an aeroplane wing. guessing here but im defenaitely thinking pressure/vacuum is somewhat involved!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                        U guys don't understand how these recirc's work.
                        If you've ever handled one of these springs you'll already know that they're not very strong, certainly not strong enough to hold back 1000 mbar of boost(1350mbar in my case). Even the uprated spring is not much stronger than of that in a Biro.
                        So....how does it hold back the pressure???? Can anyone work it out???
                        Look to the picture below at the plungers design and you might be able to work it out

I'm beginning to sound like Czar lol

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                        This is why u are the tuner and I am not lol, any news on the springs Jamie?

Comment

Think, if you had let's say 1000mbar boost of pressure trying to lift the valve of its seat, how much pressure would you need to keep it sealed???
                          The spring is only rated to 1" of compression with 1lb of load. So nowhere near enough force to keep it closed.

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                          White on red THP
                          Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

read this explains it well unlike me. http://blog.perrinperformance.com/al...-recirc-valve/

When the equalizing force of the pressure signal cancels out the boost then it is the wee little spring that provides the overcoming force to close the valve. With the electro valve to open it or in a normal blow off valve the pressure now turned vacuum signal line with closed throttle.
                            Last edited by cyclone; 14-01-2014, 10:38.
                            Originally posted by cyclone
                            It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                            Originally posted by Broda
                            I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Yes that's right...a nice description you found there cyclone, saved me typing it up
                              The Alta valve looks worthwhile testing as well.

www.SPTuning.co.uk
                              White on red THP

Comment

Working...
                              X