Rim blades fitted at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim blades fitted at last

I damaged my rim quite horribly awhile ago and I've had the Rimblades for a few months but wasn't 100% sold on them. Today I finally made up my mind and fitted them. If they stay on, I think they look great.
    "I'm a writer. I give the truth scope."
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010501688560

I can't make my mind up on them Jo. I think I like them. Were they easy to put on? Will you get issues with trapped moisture causing the alloys to corrode? It covers up the kerbing nicely though.
    DS3 DSport eHDi 145 - Stage 1 with K&N - Shark Grey & Infinite Blue​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Funky View Post
      I can't make my mind up on them Jo. I think I like them. Were they easy to put on? Will you get issues with trapped moisture causing the alloys to corrode? It covers up the kerbing nicely though.
      They were very easy to put on but sadly they are already falling off and I haven't even moved the car. Not sure why as I applied plenty of pressure and was very careful to clean the wheels before I put them on. I may have made a mistake applying them on such a hot day, or maybe buying them off Ebay was my first mistake.

However, because they enhance the look of my car, I'm going to splurge and have some Alloygators fitted.

Comment

I remember reading on here that one type, can't remember which, might cause corrosion issues by trapping moisture against the diamond cut parts of the wheels.... That's what put me off fitting any.....

I was lucky and never herbed my Bellones. Good luck with them
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lfcrule1972 View Post
          I remember reading on here that one type, can't remember which, might cause corrosion issues by trapping moisture against the diamond cut parts of the wheels.... That's what put me off fitting
          Yes, that's what was putting me off. However since they have peeled off after only a few hours, I've binned them so it's not an issue. I'll be getting my car booked for the Alloygators very soon.

Comment

Jo, let us know how the Alloygators fare.
            LA PETITE FUSEE / THE LITTLE ROCKET

sigpic

Comment

its the Alloygators I had the problem with, as they dont form a seal against the wheel. the wheels were a mess when i part exed

Rimblades do creat a seal against the wheel, as its fixed with adhesive

The problem with adhesive is soemtimes it comes away.... while your driving at 69mph +... thats a pain

Also- if you want to remove the Rimblade for... say... a tyre change, it leaves residue thats a PITA and takes an hour a wheel with adhesive remove t sort

Ive had about 3 sets of Alloygators and 7 sets of Rimblades, and Rimblades are better

Obvs the best way is just not to damage the wheels. Which Ive tried with my current motor, and clipped it in first 6 months
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by JEZDS3 View Post
                Jo, let us know how the Alloygators fare.
                Will do, Jez.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  its the Alloygators I had the problem with, as they dont form a seal against the wheel. the wheels were a mess when i part exed

Rimblades do creat a seal against the wheel, as its fixed with adhesive

The problem with adhesive is soemtimes it comes away.... while your driving at 69mph +... thats a pain

Also- if you want to remove the Rimblade for... say... a tyre change, it leaves residue thats a PITA and takes an hour a wheel with adhesive remove t sort

Ive had about 3 sets of Alloygators and 7 sets of Rimblades, and Rimblades are better

Obvs the best way is just not to damage the wheels. Which Ive tried with my current motor, and clipped it in first 6 months
                  Absolutely agree with your last statement. Had a Clio from new for 5 years and it was in showroom condition when I traded it in. Seem to be having some bad luck with the DS3.

You've thrown me a curve ball with your opinion of the Rimblades vs Alloygators but I would guess there will be pro and anti in each camp. More research required on my part, methinks.

Comment

I had my rimblades on for a year .
                    2 started coming off when I had the tyres changed so I took them all off ,the residue left was really hard to get off in fact I still have some on now on 1 wheel.
                    All in all they did their job for a year or so and I'm still debating getting some more .
                    I got mine from argos online as I think some on ebay have the old type 3m tape on which doesn't hold for long.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I'm going to have the wheel refurbished. I've had a price of £120 but that seems expensive. Again, more research needed, methinks.

Comment

My opinion on rimblades is not great, I tried them on my last DS3 and the first time it hit the kerb (learner driver) it ripped off part of the rimblade and scraped the Bellone, so no protection at all for me.
                        I think the rimblades will protect the wheel from a slight brush on the kerb, but that's all.
                        The Alloygators are more robust and imo offer better protection.

Comment

Originally posted by gmt234 View Post
                          I think the rimblades will protect the wheel from a slight brush on the kerb, but that's all.
                          The Alloygators are more robust and imo offer better protection.
                          This is correct.
                          And yes, the later version rimblade, better the adhesive, so beware cheap offer rimblades, as they will be older

Autoglymns Tar and Adhesive remover is good for removing the residue, and before that i used a wooden spatula to carefully remove residu
                          A hairdryer helps soften the residue too

Alloygators are more robust, just dont let the wheels be wet for days with the wheels not having moved
                          garage the car if poss
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

It's a shame that the more robust Alloygators can cause issues with diamond cut finish. No one likes a kerbed wheel
                            sigpic

Comment

I had them on my old DS3 and it caused corrosion, you've got to keep a close eye on them.

Gor them for my new DS3 but havent fitted them, partly because of the corrosion issue and partly because I think i prefer them without.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X