Warranty issues - rattles, bits falling off, and wheel corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty issues - rattles, bits falling off, and wheel corrosion

I finally got around to taking my THP back to the supplying dealer yesterday for a few warranty jobs and thought it worth posting the outcome.

Firstly a big thank you to Bigfeet for making the inforapids available to us. That enabled me to advise the dealer two weeks ago what work I was expecting to be done to put a few issues right.

Secondly I have to report that the dealer, Autoworld of Chesterfield, could not have been more helpful.
    I reported five issues to them two weeks ago backed up by Biggy’s inforapids so they could get the fix kits in stock ready, which they were happy to do for the rear wheel arch liner and the dash rattle without any haggling about needing the car to check it etc.

The dash rattle is no more, and the car seems so quiet now that I must just have been unconsciously filtering out the noise.

The rear wheel arch liner has been changed. I asked them to also check out the front wheel arch liner where I had fitted a new securing ‘bung’ and that was pronounced OK

The tractor like ‘tappet’ rattle that I have has being diagnosed as a faulty ‘vacuum pump’ (? no idea what that does – never come across one on a non diesel car), which I’m told is a known issue, and a replacement is on order to be fitted next week.

Finally the wheel corrosion – yep they agreed it is a fault and detailed photographs have now been sent to Citroen for information/comment. Replacement wheels were mentioned but I can’t see the point in just replacing them without understanding what allowed water to get under the lacquer in the first place and doing some sort of fix to ensure that it doesn’t happen again – so we’ll see what comes back on that one.
    Last edited by Owd git; 11-02-2011, 19:08.
    Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Thanks for the very detailed post, as a matter of interest what wheels are causing concern?

Comment

tis these buggers!

http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...heel-corrosion
      Bog standard 2010 DSport THP150, 1973 Clan Crusader, 2003 Harley Davidson Softail, 2007 Vespa 250GTS, 2011 Peugeot Boxer campervan ,a few push bikes, and one eMTB

Comment

Are they the 17" "black diamond-tipped" alloys as fitted on the White Special Edition?

Comment

Yeah John,

Im Glad Everythings Working Out !

Comment

Originally posted by Owd git View Post

The tractor like ‘tappet’ rattle that I have has being diagnosed as a faulty ‘vacuum pump’
            Can you explain further what this noise is and when it is heard?

Ray

Comment

Reading this might help Ray

http://ds3club.co.uk/showthread.php?...y-Loud-Tappets

The colder it is the worse the noise, sounds very like an old fashioned too great a valve clearance.

Like I said I've not heard of a vac pump on a petrol engine but this might explain it since the engine is a BMW/PSA joint venture

Many new BMW petrol engines do not use a throttle in normal running, but instead use "Valvetronic" variable-lift intake valves to control the amount of air entering the engine. Like a diesel engine, manifold vacuum is practically non-existent in these engines and an exhauster must be added to power the brake servo

Comment

Thanks Owd!

Comment

It will be great to see if the vacuum pump does the job!

Comment

Vacuum pump fitted today and the annoying tapping sound has gone - the engine is still not what I would regard as quiet but it now sounds OK

The Bellone wheel corrosion issue is under consideration in Paris apparently. It is accepted that something will have to be done - I'm told that the choice appears to be between a local refurbishment or replacement. A decision is not expected imminently

Oh, and check out your chrome side trims - noticed tiny rusty marks on mine today whilst it was in the garage - get that protective polish on there quick!
                    Last edited by Owd git; 11-02-2011, 19:24.

Comment

hi Old git just had mine looked at and has taken pics

Comment

I have Bellones with minimal corrosion on the centre caps, so I doubt the dealer will play ball as far as accepting a warranty claim. There is corrosion on the outer part of the rim, probably associated with some kerbing. Before I take my winter wheels off and put the Bellones back, I think I might get the rims re-furbed. What sort of price am I looking at or would it be better to bite the bullet and get some new rims?

Comment

Working...
                        X