Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Left Spring Snapped

Hey folks,

I've had my DS3 for around 8 months now, it was second hand so is actually around 4 years old now. Anyway, recently when getting in the car after a few days of it not moving, I found that it sometimes made a loud clunking noise (seemingly from the front passenger side) before the wheels started moving. This became worse last week when the noise continued for the entire journey every time I went over even a slight bump. The next few journeys since then have been much quieter, but the clunk does still occur when I'm driving, usually after the first speed bump I go over.

I've had somebody have a look at this and they claim that it's the front left spring that has snapped. Does this sound likely, considering it's still very much drive-able, just with the occasional metallic noise.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody else has suffered from this? And, more importantly, if it's actually safe to continue driving it?

Thanks.

Rich

Dont really know but metallic noise must mean coils..have it checked out just to be safeand to prevent a bigger damage..
    DS3's are like pizza..they're good even when they're bad..

Comment

If the spring is broken you need to get this sorted as soon as possible, the spring is only going to degrade faster and will finally collapse.
      ...I should never have doubted the Lord of Bacon!!
      Bigfeet's File Repository
      The DS3Club Bacon Appreciation Society

Comment

My ex went over a bump in her very old car and a section of the spring popped of and reset itself. It was lower on the corner it had broken, but he had this repaired (obviously)

I'd definitely get it looked at and fixed. But not heard of this yet, so can't offer much help. Had you had a good look up into the wheel arch and compared sides?

I'm surprised that if it had happened as mentioned form the place you had it looked at let you drive off if it was going to cause further damage/danger to driving. Did they make any suggestions?
        My DS3R3... nearly....
        New? Click HERE for some useful threads.

Comment

This is common on the E46 BMWs - the springs snap at the bottom and can't be seen with a quick look, you have to run your finger around the coil to feel the break - my old 325 passed its MO with 2 broken springs as they didn't notice :eek:

Comment

Snapped springs are more common now due to speed ramps being installed over the last decade
            Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

I had 3 go on my Audi A2 over the years. They all snapped in exactly the same place, half a turn from the top - just where the spiralling up levels out to meet the metal cup that they press against. I'm told they're not up to the quality of the past. I had the fourth one changed when the 3rd one went for good measure.

Comment

I dont think it is a snapped spring but I Will recommend that you take a look at These..
                They are known to fail..
                http://www.estateservices.nl/media/c...30714678-s.jpg
                Last edited by supernielsen; 25-07-2014, 20:39.
                Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Have diagnostic Lexia/Diagbox Tool

Comment

You will hear knocking if there is ueven road and the slightest bump, sounds a bit like your description..
                  Skilled Citroen Mechanic

Have diagnostic Lexia/Diagbox Tool

Comment

Working...
                  X