No announcement yet.

DS3 1.6 EHDI Front Brake Change Time :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS3 1.6 EHDI Front Brake Change Time :)

Good Evening Everyone,

My 2012 Ds3 has done 49K Miles and I assume will be probably due a change of Brakes on the front at least, My local dealer have quoted £300 to change the front discs and pads. I feel this is excessive and am tempted to just change them myself. The car will be sold next year anyway as it will be the end of my PCP deal, also Brakes aren't normally covered by warranty in any case at this mileage.

So, I was wondering has anyone changed their own brakes, and if so what make did you all use, Euro Car Parts have some Pagid and Bosch disks and pad sets as well as Mintex. Iv'e used Pagid on my Girlfriends Peugeot 207 and have been pleased with them?

I forgot to ask how much Citroen genuine Disks/Pads are but will do this before buying anything.

Euro Car Parts want circa £30 per disc and circa £28 for front pads (Set) so total cost of parts would be around £90. I've already got copper grease and Brake Cleaner

With a knowledgeable friends help, I changed my girlfriends brakes last year in about 2.5 Hours on his drive.

Any thoughts?

Rich

Hello!
    I changes the brakes on mine last year. I went with EBC sport drilled and grooved discs with green stuff pads. Total cost of around £140-210? Can't remember which car cost most. If you search for brake upgrade in mods the thread should come up :-)

Comment

I'm going to look that thread out MadMan0, I think my pads need changing and if the discs are wearing I might do it all myself, did this before on my Astra and it wasn't too bad a job, did you have a workshop guide or did you follow the info in Biggie's footer ?
      sigpic

Comment

No guides, just tried it :-)
        Was only a little different to the other vehicles I'd worked on. I only changed the front though, left the rear brakes alone because they were fine. I suspect the rear brakes would be the harder to change.
        The front calliper assembly is in 2 parts insted of 1, if I remember correctly.
        So insted of the piston part rotating on the clamping/holding part, they insted bolt onto each other. You'll see what I mean to say if you do it your self. It's an easy job and worth doing your self if you can :-)
        Last edited by MadMan0; 04-08-2014, 08:56.

Comment

Well I now have a new set of front discs and pads. the old ones didn't do badly and lasted 50K.

The job took us nearly 4 hours to complete the work, as EuroCarParts stock two sizes of disc, 288MM and 266MM, I bought the 288MM discs as that's what the calculator told me to buy, and yes you've guessed it the fronts are fitted with 266mm discs on my 2012 DS3

Its saved me £300 so was an afternoon well spent, especially as the new pads came complete with new Pad fitting clips, which is strange as the bigger size pads I incorrectly bought didn't?

Its defiantly a job a home mechanic can tackle, luckily I found some documentation that someone had kindly uploaded to an on-line repository that explained how to take everything apart, with correct torque values too

the fun part was finding somewhere to safely place our axle stands as the car is quite low actually, we opted for the less safe and more fun option of some tentatively placed bricks and wood for a temporary axle stand.

Have Fun

Rich

Comment

Working...
          X