Turbo's and boost pressure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Turbo?

Hi Czar- it may be my predominantly my imagination, but i feel that my turbo "disappears" occasionally. My torque pro monitoring app seems to have decided to go awol so cant verify at the moment.
    Sometimes it is absolutely fine for a long journey, then, dead flat in the higher gears, 4th and above occasionally. Sometimes flat in 1st/ 2nd too.
    When engine is switched off for a while, seems fine on restart, then other times when accelerating hard, seems to have gone again

It could be that I am just used to the speed. When my Torque pro app worked a week or so back, my suspicions were upheld. IE Sometimes Turbo not working, and other times- marvellous, Miss that "lurch" when the Turbo comes in.

Any ideas? - looked for loose connections, and someone suggested vacuum leak, actuator, has anyone a photo of its location?

Its happened twice in 2 weeks when I have "Asked" for the Turbo
    sigpic
    Jog on Noddy

Comment

I think I know what you mean Chris, sometimes I experiance more of a rush than other times, and this is not specific to any gear. I'm sure there is a perfectly legitimate engineering answer. There is a roundabout near me where I come off in 2nd and it flys out with a bit of torque steer every time so I'm pretty sure it's all fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly Guy View Post
        I think I know what you mean Chris, sometimes I experiance more of a rush than other times, and this is not specific to any gear. I'm sure there is a perfectly legitimate engineering answer. There is a roundabout near me where I come off in 2nd and it flys out with a bit of torque steer every time so I'm pretty sure it's all fine.
        I have an analog boost meter installed on the map sensor and it is true that the boost sometimes fluctuates, at least on mine.
        Citroën DS3 Racing 2011 Polar White
        ZRP con rods, Wössner pistons, Forge Ind. Kit, Forge IC hard pipes, etuners S3 (E85, launch control), Clemens-Motorsport IC, cylinder head porting, oil pump mod, Devils Own WMI, Forge BOV, Powerflex rear engine mount, LEDs, Citroen mudflaps, Ragazzon de-cat/200cc sports cat, Mongoose catback

Ex: BMW M135iA (2008) * BMW M3 E46 SMG2 (2003) * Subaru Impreza WRX STi (2007) * BMW M3 E46 (2001) * Seat Leon 1.8 TS4 (2003)
        sigpic

Comment

Got my Torque pro app working again (How many times is there software upgrade on an HTC ONE)

Turbo seems kicking in fine. Even though the reader says theres max boost pressure, cant tell that much in 4th/5th gear tho
          Never noticed before
          sigpic
          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
            Hi Czar- it may be my predominantly my imagination, but i feel that my turbo "disappears" occasionally. My torque pro monitoring app seems to have decided to go awol so cant verify at the moment.
            Sometimes it is absolutely fine for a long journey, then, dead flat in the higher gears, 4th and above occasionally. Sometimes flat in 1st/ 2nd too.
            When engine is switched off for a while, seems fine on restart, then other times when accelerating hard, seems to have gone again

It could be that I am just used to the speed. When my Torque pro app worked a week or so back, my suspicions were upheld. IE Sometimes Turbo not working, and other times- marvellous, Miss that "lurch" when the Turbo comes in.

Any ideas? - looked for loose connections, and someone suggested vacuum leak, actuator, has anyone a photo of its location?

Its happened twice in 2 weeks when I have "Asked" for the Turbo
            Good afternoon Chris, two of the most common faults on the THP regarding boost fluctuation are, as you've already been told, vacuum leak, there is a vacuum pressure converter attached to the underside of the inlet manifold, this can cause boost fluctuations.

The second common issue is with the turbo waste gate actuator, the actuator rod adjustment nuts do vibrate loose over time, this again will and does affect boost pressure, the official solution is to add two further nuts to the existing.
            Performance Powered By Thought
            Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Scuse my ingnorance- wheres the wastegate actuator located... in the Turbo?
              sigpic
              Jog on Noddy

Comment

In the boot behind the near side wheel arch trim...
                If it's escaped then it usually likes to hide under the passenger front seat...but whatever you do, don't get it wet or feed it after midnight.
                White on red THP
                Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Found it.......... sod had got away. LOL.
                  Thanks GOOGLE!
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

I know some others on here use google too lol
                    White on red THP
                    Miltek exhaust with HKS highflow cat, Forge intercooler, hard pipe kit, induction kit, oil catch tank, , VAG BOV, Stage 3 SPT remap 217 BHP

Comment

Think Citroen UK Techs do tooo. Ha!
                      sigpic
                      Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                        Scuse my ingnorance- wheres the wastegate actuator located... in the Turbo?
                        You may or may not find this useful.

Performance Powered By Thought
                        Engineered Horsepower

Comment

Thanks Czar, found similar on Google
                          Will go have a nosey round the Turbo (Or maybe in the boot LOL)
                          sigpic
                          Jog on Noddy

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                            If it's escaped then it usually likes to hide under the passenger front seat...but whatever you do, don't get it wet or feed it after midnight.
                            :bow: Jamie :bow:

This made me laugh !
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie@SPTuning View Post
                              Prize for best post this week goes to Jamie!!!!!
                              Originally posted by cyclone
                              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                              Originally posted by Broda
                              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Czar- why are Turbo's not set at max boost pressure from the manufacturers (Or couldnt they just put on a smaller output Turbo on and save money) and if a Turbo is remapped to %100 boost, will that affect the Turbo over time, or is it just working more efficiently?

ED - May have been partially answered in post 8
                                Last edited by Chris_Blue; 15-10-2014, 17:09.
                                sigpic
                                Jog on Noddy

Comment

Working...
                                X