Poo brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poo brakes

So I had my DS3 serviced this week, picked up on my front brakes which I knew were ready for placing (cars 11 months old with 24,000 motorway miles) main dealer quoted just shy of £250 for discs and pads fitted. Let me think ............ Erm no thanks! My mates just fitted the lot in 55 minutes, and the cost? £50.40 plus a bottle of port, job well done :-)

I just had my 2nd service done just shy of 25k, and they also piked up on front brakes being "70% worn" and rears "60% worn"

That's been mostly urban & bendy roads - now my commute is mainly motorway I'm hoping to stretch them out to early-mid next year.

I've got to check whether mine have to be done at main dealer (it's a lease car) or whether just genuine parts are required - will do that before xmas so I can start saving otherwise

How long should the discs last - lease is up NOV'15 so would I get away with just getting the pads done?
    DS 3 1.6 THP 165 DSport - Ink Blue body / Black roof.

Comment

Mines a lease car too! Didn't give a 2nd thought to using genuine parts etc not gonna use citroen parts if they wear that quickly!! My pads had 3mm left on them and the discs were at 20.25 mm as oppose to 22mm when new. They need changing at 20mm so I had a quarter of a mm left to play with! Easiest way to check is using callipers to check the thickness! French cars in general have soft discs so 20k - 25k is about right on OE discs!!

Comment

As mine isnt leased, thinking slotted and drilled discs- but not till they need changing.
        17k in so far
        sigpic
        Jog on Noddy

Comment

Was thinking about drilled discs but for the cost there wouldn't really be much difference in performance, at least the way mine is driven!

Comment

always remember mine getting really spongy round Brands hatch- frightening
            sigpic
            Jog on Noddy

Comment

If mine are gone, I'm upgrading them. I had almost no brakes after 1 lap on the ring. But then again, I guess all discs overheat in that place

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                As mine isnt leased, thinking slotted and drilled discs- but not till they need changing.
                17k in so far
                where would the best place to be to get slotted disks. mine has done 20k and im thinking about changing them just before winter arrives but ill do it myself(advantages of being an ex mechanic)

Comment

I will go to a brake fitters, ask what the best slotted and drilled are for the model, then go try source them elsewhere
                  Could stick to the well known makes (Brembo and Tarox) but will be pricey

Or just a bit of reserch on the web I'm afraid
                  sigpic
                  Jog on Noddy

Comment

Tarox!, Tarox!, Tarox!
                    Originally posted by cyclone
                    It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                    Originally posted by Broda
                    I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by mjhill View Post
                      where would the best place to be to get slotted disks. mine has done 20k and im thinking about changing them just before winter arrives but ill do it myself(advantages of being an ex mechanic)
                      Look for my 'Mod' thread, replace all my pads and discs at 20k, huge huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                      X